Police Department
Print this page.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Q. How do I obtain Fingerprint Services?
In March 2012 the Police Department was notified that the FBI will no longer accept paper (inked) fingerprint cards. All fingerprints must be submitted electronically through digital scanning systems. Effective immediately the Baltimore County Police Department will no longer provide fingerprinting services to the general public. Browse a listing of commercial locations at www.dpscs.state.md.us/publicservs/fingerprint.shtml that provide this service.

Q. How do I obtain a Police Incident Report or Accident Report?
Copies of police reports of all types must be obtained through the mail. A printed copy of the request form can be downloaded from the following link: Police Report (PDF).

Send your request to:

Baltimore County Police Department
Fifth Floor Records Section
700 East Joppa Road
Towson, Maryland 21286-55

Include with your request:

  • The case number if known
  • The date of the incident
  • The location of the incident
  • The type of the incident
  • The individuals involved
  • Your name

Please enclose:

  • A check or money order payable to Baltimore County, MD in the amount of $15 for each report.
  • Enclose a business size stamped, self-addressed envelope.

A recorded message detailing these procedures can be heard by calling 410-887-2390.

Allow two weeks to honor your request.

Please note that if the report involves a juvenile, you must obtain a court order from the court to receive a copy of that report.

Q. How do I get an expungement?
In order to have a record expunged from your record, you must contact the court located in the county in which you were charged.

If you were charged in Baltimore County and would like to download the appropriate form to begin the expungement process, please use the following link:


Q. How long does the expungement process take?
The expungement process is a 90 day process. 

Back to top

Q. What is the Baltimore County ordinance regarding noise?
Read the specific Baltimore County Code regulations referring to noise. To get to that information, use the following instructions...

  1. Select Baltimore County Code.
  2. On the Baltimore County Code of Ordinances screen, select "No Frames".
  3. On the Baltimore County Code screen, in the Search field type in "noise", and select "Search".
  4. Select number 3 - Title 3. Noise.
  5. The specific Baltimore County Code dealing with noise should display.  

Q. What is the current State of Maryland law pertaining to unattended children?
Maryland Family Law Art. 5-801 states:

a) "A person who is charged with the care of a child under the age of 8 years may not allow the child to be locked or confined in a dwelling, building, enclosure or motor vehicle while the person charged is absent and the dwelling, building, enclosure or motor vehicle is out of sight of the person charged unless the person charged provides at person at least 13 years old to remain with the child to protect the child.

b) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to a fine not exceeding $500 or imprisonment not exceeding 30 days or both."

Q. How do I get crime statistics for my precinct or neighborhood?
The Baltimore County Police Department compiles crime statistics and more, by precinct and community. You may access the main crime statistics page at the following link - Crime Statistics

Q. What is the process for receiving criminal history information about myself?
All inquiries for criminal history information must be submitted to the following location:

CJIS Fingerprint Facility
6776 Reisterstown Road
Suite 205
Baltimore, Maryland 21215

Hours: Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Call 410-585-3190
Help Desk: Call 888-795-0011

Back to Top

Q. How do I go about retrieving my property that is in the possession of the Baltimore County Police Department?
The first thing that you must do is to speak to the initial investigating officer assigned to your case. Link to the telephone numbers of the various precincts and units. The investigating officer is the person responsible for having your property released. If he/she agrees that the property is no longer needed as evidence and can be released they will notify the Evidence Management Unit. The Evidence Management Unit in turn will send you a letter to come in and pick up your property.

Q. How much time do I have to claim property after receiving notification from the Evidence Management Unit? 
You have 30 days to respond and pick up property after notification by the Evidence Management Unit. You can retrieve your property at the Evidence Management Unit located 700 E. Joppa Road, Towson, Maryland 21286. You must present a government photo ID and the letter we mailed you to retrieve your property. After the 30 day period, the property will be considered unclaimed and sold at public auction or destroyed.

Q. What happens to unclaimed property?
A. Unclaimed property is auctioned off in accordance with the Baltimore County Code. The Baltimore County Police Department utilizes the services of www.propertyroom.com to auction off all of its unclaimed property.

Back to top

Revised February 1, 2015

Was This Page Helpful?
Fields marked with * are required.
Page Rating*