Lionel van Dommelen, Chief
County Office Building, Room 213
111 West Chesapeake Avenue
Towson, Maryland 21204
Code Enforcement Fax: 410-842-2642
Housing and Urban Development Fax: 410-887-2824
Our goal is to maintain or improve the standards of a community by enforcing the Baltimore County Code and Baltimore County Zoning Regulations. Our 25 inspectors respond to some 18,000 code complaints each year and perform a number of functions, including:
- investigating residential and commercial complaints, and updating weekly Complaint Reports for properties that are investigated to determine if a code violation exists
- sweeping or ticketing neighborhoods for code violations
- approving various licenses, permits (examples: motel or hotel, towing, trailer)
- conducting housing inspections for Section 8
- managing the Rat Attack Extermination Program, which provides rodent control information to the public and enforces County regulations addressing the root causes of rodent infestation
- enforcing the Rental Registration License Program for all rental property owners and addressing public nuisance complaints (PDF) for dwellings subject to the Rental Housing Registration Law
File a Code Complaint
Code Enforcement accepts complaints online, by mail or by fax.
Code Enforcement Hearings
In the event you are found in violation of Baltimore County Code, the County provides for an administrative Code Enforcement Hearing before the Administrative Law Judge. At the close of the hearing, the Administrative Law Judge may impose a penalty if there is a finding of a violation, or may impose certain restrictions and conditions in return for a suspension or reduction of the penalty.
We follow the Baltimore County Circuit Court Schedule. Should the Circuit Court be closed, all code enforcement hearings will be canceled and rescheduled.
- If the Circuit Court is closed, all code enforcement hearings will be canceled and rescheduled.
- If courts have a one- or two-hour (or more) delayed opening, all code enforcement hearings are delayed in the same manner.
Revised April 8, 2016