Learn more about the following codes, their effective dates and who to contact with questions.
Adopted by Baltimore County Council Bill Number 40-15 effective July 1, 2015, which includes the 2015 editions of the ICC International Building Code, International Residential Code (IRC), International Mechanical Code and International Energy Conservation Code (subject to exceptions). Baltimore County adopted the International Building and Residential Codes (2015 editions) in July 2015.
- One and Two Family Dwelling Code—2015 International Residential Code: Adopted and amended by Baltimore County, Bill 40-15 (Effective date: July 1, 2015)
- Mechanical Code—2015 International Mechanical Code: Adopted by Baltimore County, Bill 40-15 (Effective date: July 1, 2015)
For questions, call 410-887-3953. To purchase code books, call the International Code Council at 1-888-422-7233.
Per Section 21-7-303 of the Baltimore County Code, 2015, electrical installations shall conform to most recent edition year of the published National Electric Code (NEC, effective September 1 of the edition year of the code). All permits issued after August 31, 2020 will follow the 2020 NEC regardless of when the permit is mailed or applied for.
- Baltimore County local Electric Code amendments—Also see Bill 40-15 for amendments.
- Building Code—Electrical Amendment Section 4, Part 12—Code change effective July 1, 2015
The primary standard for minimum electrical safety requirements is the National Electric Code, NFPA 70, published by the National Fire Protection Association, latest edition.
For questions, call 410-887-3960.
2015 International Energy Code: Adopted and amended by Baltimore County, Bill 40-15 (Effective date: July 1, 2015). View the International Energy Conservation Code (IECC) requirements.
- Life Safety Code: 2018 National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 101, adopted and amended by Baltimore County Bill 14-21 (Effective date: April 18, 2021)
- Fire Prevention Code: 2018 Edition NFPA 1, adopted and amended by Baltimore County Bill 14-21, replaces Baltimore County Bill 3-17 (Effective date: April 18, 2021)
- Other NFPA Codes and Standards: Adopted and amended by Baltimore County Bills 3-17 (Effective date: March 19, 2017)
For questions, call Fire Inspections at 410-887-4880. To purchase code books, call the National Fire Protection Association at 1-800-344-3555.
Baltimore County, Bill 40-15 Parts 123, 124 and 125 and Baltimore County Code 2003 Edition. Note: Plumbing and Electrical Installations shall also comply.
For questions, call the State of Maryland Floodplain at 410-537-3775.
Adopted by Baltimore County Council Bill Number 41-15 effective July 1, 2015. Replaces Baltimore County Bill 17-13. Also see Bill 40-15 Part 129.1 for equivalent plumbing fixture count.
For questions, call 410-887-3620.
State of Maryland
Learn more about the following State of Maryland Codes.
COMAR 05.02.02 State of Maryland adopts “ADAAG” 2010 Edition (Americans Disability Act) and “FHAA” (Federal Fair Housing Amendments Act of 1988).
For questions, call 301-426-7665.
COMAR 09.12.58 Maryland Building Rehabilitation Code. 2015 International Existing Building Code (IEBC(Effective date: April 11, 2016). Note: It shall be the responsibility of the Design Professional to provide concise step-by-step compliance with Maryland Rehabilitation Code.
The livability code provides protection to the renter, violations include:
- Defective roofs, windows, frames, stairs/steps, chimney, porches and handrails
- Garbage not stored in trash receptacles
- High grass and weeds
- Defective interior surfaces (i.e. ceilings, walls, floors, etc.as well as unsound exterior (i.e. paint, walls, structure or other surfaces)
- Plumbing facilities (i.e. bathtub or shower, kitchen sink, water closet and lavatory)
- Rodent and insect control
- Unsanitary or unsafe conditions
For Local Amendments
All local amendments are free to the public upon request by calling the County Council’s Office at 410-887-3196.