Department of Health
Salinity: PSS (Practical Salinity Scale) displayed in ppt
- Salinity is the measure of dissolved salts in the water expressed in ppt. (parts per thousand).
- Seawater is between 30-35 ppt.
- Brackish water zones in the Bay range between 1-5 ppt.
- Typically, the salinity will be low in the spring with more rainfall occurring, and higher in late summer/fall when it is dryer.
- County tidal rivers typically fall into the brackish water zone of the Chesapeake Bay throughout the year with salinity readings ranging between 0-5 ppt.