Skip Navigation

Zoning Review

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. How can I determine if my neighbor is violating the zoning regulations? 

A. To determine if someone is in violation of Baltimore County Zoning Regulations, call Zoning Review at 410-887-3391 or Code Enforcement at 410-887-3351.

Q. How can I access the zoning maps and zoning case histories for my property online?

A. By visiting the My Neighborhood Interactive Map users can search for properties, view the zoning, view aerial photography, create custom printable maps and obtain owner information.
Presently, this information cannot be provided over the telephone. In the meantime, you, or a representative, are welcome to visit the Zoning Review Office in the County Office Building, 111 West Chesapeake Avenue, Room 111, Towson, Maryland 21204. A planner will provide personal assistance to you and no appointment is necessary. If you would like the zoning information certified in written form, please follow the guidelines and requirements for written verification requests (PDF).

Q. What are the setbacks for my property?

A. If you know the zoning of the particular piece of property, you can contact the Zoning Review Office at 410-887-3391, Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Otherwise, you must visit the Zoning Review Office in the County Office Building, Room 124, or write a letter to Pete Gutwald, Director of the Department of Permits, Approvals and Inspections, 111 West Chesapeake Avenue, Suite 120, Towson, Maryland 21204.

Q. What zoning regulations must I comply with to construct an addition to my dwelling?

A. To ascertain this information, you must contact 410-887-3391, Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., or come into the office with the location of the property, size of the addition, type of dwelling (single, group or semi-detached), book and folio numbers from your deed (if in a recorded subdivision) and name of the recorded subdivision.

Q. Is it legal for my neighbor to build a large shed close to my property line?

A. Accessory structures (storage sheds, garages, etc.) must be located in the rear yard behind the rear foundation wall line, must occupy no more than 40 percent of the yard, and must be located two and one-half feet from the side and rear property lines. If there is an alley, there must be a minimum setback of 15 feet from the centerline. There is a height limitation of 15 feet; and, if located on a corner lot (intersection of two streets), the structure must be situated in the one-half of the lot furthest from the side street. A building permit is required if the structure is over 120 square feet. Information on how to obtain a building permit may be obtained by calling Permit Processing at 410-887-3900, Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Q. What are the regulations for fences?

A. A permit is required for fences over 42 inches high (measured vertical to ground, even if the fence is placed on top of a wall). If a fence is erected within an easement and is required to be removed, it would be at the owner's expense. An access easement can not be fenced.

On a corner lot, no fence or other obstruction to vision is permitted higher than three feet within 25 feet of the corner of the two streets, 15 feet of a street and alley, and 10 feet of two alleys. A residential fence in a side or rear yard which adjoins a residential front yard cannot exceed 42 inches in height, if situated within 10 feet of the adjoining front yard property line. Required pool fences and houses more than 200 feet apart are exceptions.

No residential fence may exceed a maximum height of 42 inches in the front yard and six feet in the side and rear yards at the property line. If there is a setback of two feet for every vertical foot over six feet, the maximum height may not exceed 10 feet in the side and rear yards.

Additional information can be accessed by visiting or calling Zoning Review at 410-887-3391.

Q. How can I obtain an application for signs and fences?

A. Applications for signs and fences can be applied for in person in the County Office Building, Room 111, 111 West Chesapeake Avenue, Towson, Maryland 21204. Further information may be acquired by calling Zoning Review at 410-887-3391.

Q. How can I access Baltimore County zoning regulations online?

A. To view Baltimore County zoning regulations online visit the Code Publisher.

Q. How can I purchase the Baltimore County Zoning Regulations?

A. To purchase the regulations, contact General Code Publishers at 1-800-836-8834.

Revised August 20, 2021         


A new website for Baltimore County

We're working to provide you with a better experience, and want your feedback. Learn more about our project and give your feedback.

Did This Page Help?
Fields marked with * are required.
Page Rating*