Skip Navigation

A permit is required for commercial change of occupancy. A separate permit is required for any alterations or additions to the building.

There are two options for commercial Change of Occupancy (COO) applications. They are:

  • Commercial Permit—COO
  • Commercial Permit—COO—Restaurant or Food Service, Hospital, Medical Daycare, Assisted Living, Nursing Home

Note: Environmental Health Services (EHS) regulates the construction of food service facilities, adult healthcare and public swimming pools and supports the building permit review process. All construction plans, whether new construction or renovation, must be submitted for approval. The food plans review staff also examines Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) Risk Assessments and the HACCP Manual. Review the Health Department Guidelines for required documents. Review the EHS fee schedule for fees.

Required Documents

  • You must provide the floor plans when submitting your permit application.  

About the Application Process

To learn more about the application process, read the steps and watch the videos below, or view the FAQ or full tutorial video playlist.

 Apply for a Permit

Once you have reviewed the process outlined above and have gathered your required documentation, apply for your permit online using the buttons below.

Commercial Permit

For Projects Involving Food Service/Health Care

This application should be submitted for projects involving food service or health care (i.e. restaurants, hospitals, medical daycares, assisted living centers or nursing homes), which require review by the Environmental Health Division.


Residential Permit


Explore Permits, Approvals and Inspections


Contact Us

Department of Permits, Approvals and Inspections

County Office Building
111 West Chesapeake Avenue
Towson, Maryland 21204


Monday through Friday
8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.



C. Pete Gutwald