Skip Navigation

Code Enforcement Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What laws and regulations does code enforcement address?

A. Code Enforcement addresses the following laws and regulations:

  • Baltimore County Code
  • International Residential Code
  • Life Safety Code

Q. How does one lodge a complaint with code enforcement about rats and other concerns?

A. We offer a number of ways to file a code complaint:

  • Online: Complete the Code Enforcement Complaint Form
  • Email:
  • Phone: Call 410-887-3351 
  • Mail:
    Lionel van Dommelen, Chief
    Code Inspection
    County Office Building, Room 213
    111 West Chesapeake Avenue
    Towson, Maryland 21204
  • In Person:
    County Office Building, Room 213
    111 West Chesapeake Avenue
    Towson, Maryland 21204

You may also contact an elected official's office or your community association.

Q. Are there laws that provide protection to the renter?

A. The livability code provides protection to the renter and covers:

  • rodent and insect control
  • defective roofs, windows, frames, stairs, porches and handrails
  • defective exterior paint, walls or surfaces
  • high grass and weeds
  • no trash and garbage containers
  • defective interior surfaces (examples: ceilings, walls, floors, etc.)
  • plumbing facilities (examples: bathtub or shower, kitchen sink, water closet and lavatory)

Q. What conditions must exist on owner occupied property before code enforcement will cite the property owners for livability code violations?

A. Code Enforcement cites property owners for livability code violations, such as:

  •  unsanitary or unsafe conditions
  •  rubbish/garbage not stored in trash receptacles
  •  unsound structural exterior
  •  defective roof, steps, chimney, windows, doors and fences

Q. What are the penalties facing the general public for failure to comply with the law and do violators go to court?

A. A $200 a day fine per violation. Initially, the defendant or violator is scheduled for a hearing before a county hearing officer; however, failure to correct the violation(s) could result in the manner proceeding to district or circuit court.

Q. Must attorneys be hired to defend the violator and represent the complainant at a hearing? How long does it take to schedule a hearing date?

A. No, but an attorney could explain the charges on the citation, represent the defendant or complainant at the hearing, and assist in obtaining a fair penalty if found guilty of the law. Hearings can be scheduled immediately at the site of the violation by the inspector if compliance with the original correction notice has not been obtained.

Q. Who should I call about high grass and weeds?

A. Contact Code Enforcement.

Q. Who should I call about a failure to remove snow or ice from a sidewalk?

A. Contact Code Enforcement.* Note, a person or public institution has 24 hours after the last snowfall to remove the snow or ice from the sidewalk.

Q. Does the county ever hire someone to correct a violation(s) if the violator(s) fails to take care of the problem(s)?

A. In some instances and after failed attempts for property owner compliance, Baltimore County will hire a private contractor to make repairs and then place a lien on the property to recover the costs.

Revised August 29, 2018         


A new website for Baltimore County

We're working to provide you with a better experience, and want your feedback. Learn more about our project and give your feedback.

Did This Page Help?
Fields marked with * are required.
Page Rating*