Do you lack the marketable skills necessary to stay competitive in today’s job market? Were you recently separated from employment through no fault of your own? Are you thinking of making a career change to a field with more advancement opportunity? Help is available at Baltimore County’s three Career Centers in Randallstown (Liberty), Hunt Valley and Eastpoint.
Get Started with Career Services
Visit any one of our Career Centers to find a team of trained and committed professionals ready to listen, advise and partner with you to target and achieve your career goals. Getting started with accessing Career Center services includes completing the following enrollment paperwork:
Find and Connect to Job Opportunities
Computers are available for preparing résumés and cover letters, completing online job applications, accessing training provider data as well as obtaining access to the internet and job search websites.
The Maryland Workforce Exchange is a robust, comprehensive job search and career development tool, which features a database containing thousands of local and regional job listings.
Job centers are equipped with office equipment made available at no cost that will make your job search a breeze.
Work space is available to encourage a successful job search.
Information on current labor market trends and growing occupations is easily accessible.
The Reference and Resource Library offers books and other reference materials that will aid your career development and job search activities.
Veteran Representatives are available to assist qualified service men and women and their spouses with additional services and resources at each Career Center.
Sharpen Your Skills
Competition for good jobs is harder than ever. You need every advantage to get the job you want—and the key to getting hired is a successful interview. Baltimore County Career Centers now offer Perfect Interview, an online tool you can use to practice and develop your interviewing skills.
Perfect Interview creates a realistic “simulated interview” experience where you’re asked challenging questions just as you would in a real job interview. A webcam records your answers, so you can see exactly how you will look and sound during an interview. You can repeat each question and even see examples of how someone else might answer. If you get stuck, there’s a built-in Interview Coach to offer help.
Accelerate your job search by using in-house tutorials and online resource web tools to learn introductory computer skills in:
Increase your job opportunities to find employment through referrals to the following Adult Education programs:
- GED Courses
- ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages Classes)
- Literacy Courses
Get training in the fields for which Baltimore County companies are hiring. Occupational training scholarships in the following high demand fields are available for individuals who meet specific eligibility criteria:
- Transportation, distribution and logistics
- Information technology
- Corporate operations center
- Business, financial and educational services
Training scholarships are available on an individual basis to support individuals who meet these eligibility qualification criteria:
- Age 18 years or older
- Valid Social Security Number
- Citizenship or non-citizen authorized to work in the U.S.
- Military Selective Service registration for males born on or after January 1, 1960
- Baltimore County resident or:
- Non-resident recently laid off from a Baltimore County employer
- Non-resident currently working for a Baltimore County employer but is underemployed (salary criteria must be considered
Plan Your Career Path
Complete Traitify, Careerscope or Prove It assessments to learn more about career interests and aptitude. Our staff can work with you to interpret the assessment results and identify career pathways that are a good fit for you.
Through a comprehensive employability assessment, our professional consultants can help you identify your skills, interest and aptitudes in order to pursue a job or career that is in-demand. You will also receive assistance in the development of a personalized job search strategy or training agenda that will help you land the career of your choice.
Consultants can help identify support services that are available to you while you are unemployed.
Receive tips and guidance from professional résumé writers on how to create or update an effective résumé.
Consultants refer candidates to job developers who work to connect you with available job openings.
Traitify is a tool designed to help you find your next career
- Take a quick, visual-based assessment
- Discover your career personality and recommended careers
- View job info and job openings in Maryland
- Over 600 career possibilities to match your personality
Career Training Eligibility 101
Workforce Investment Opportunity Act (WOIA) training may be available to individuals who demonstrate the need for a particular skill, licensure or certification that aligns with local labor market demand. Training can only be considered for job seekers who meet federal eligibility guidelines. Training scholarship applications are processed by DEWD Career Consultant staff.
If you have specific questions after reading the questions below, please call the office nearest you for information.
Eligibility requirements for job seekers looking to receive individualized career services or training services:
- 18 years of age or older
- Valid Social Security number
- Citizenship or non-citizen authorized to work in the U.S.
- Military Selective Service registration requirements (males born on or after January 1, 1960)
- Visit www.sss.gov to check your status and print your registration confirmation
In addition to meeting the requirements above, the job seeker must be one of the following:
- Baltimore County Resident
- Non-Resident who has recently been laid off from a Baltimore County employer
- Non-Resident who is currently working for a Baltimore County employer, but are underemployed (salary criteria must be met)
Job seekers will also be asked to provide documentation of Unemployment Insurance (UI) records, public assistance benefits, veteran status, Baltimore County residency and/or income verification.
Career Consultant staff will assist with:
- Assessment for the WIOA program
- Establishment of eligibility for the WIOA program
- Orientation to services and requirements of the WIOA program
- One-on-one career coaching and guidance
- Development of a personalized employment plan
- Direction to complete training scholarship application, if applicable
Career consultants guide job seekers through a training scholarship process as funds are available. Training is assessed by need and approved on a case-by-case basis.
These services are free for Baltimore County residents who are economically disadvantaged or dislocated workers as defined by federal eligibility guidelines. Read above for general eligibility requirements or call the office nearest you for more specific eligibility guidelines.
Funds are available for individuals who are not eligible to receive Unemployment Insurance benefits or are currently working. However, individuals must meet household size and income criteria if currently working.
Recipients of approved training programs will receive instructions from their Career Consultants regarding the appropriate way to file their bi-weekly Telecert or Webcert. UI waivers of the job search requirement are also available depending on the training schedule and duration.
Customers who become employed during training may continue based upon the training provider’s schedule and availability. They should also alert their Career Consultant of their new employment as well as any changes made to their training schedule.
Career Development Workshops
Developed by Baltimore County Career Center instructional staff, these no-cost workshops provide assistance and guidance on the following:
- Introduction to the Job Connector Toolkit
- Basic Computer Strategies
- Computer Basics
- Microsoft Word Basics
- Internet and Email Basics
- Job Search Planning Strategies: The TIME Method
- LinkedIn Job Seeker Strategies
- Interviewing Strategies
- Résumé Writing Strategies