Skip Navigation

Water and Sewer Charges

​Q. My water bills seem high. What should I do?
Baltimore City sends the water bills to all customers that are connected to the public water system, even if you live in Baltimore County. Call Baltimore City at 410-396-5398.

Q. What happens if I have a leak or suspect I do?
If your plumbing fixtures are leaking, such as a running toilet, or a dripping faucet—fix it as soon as possible. Not only does your water bill increase but your annual Sewer Service charge will go up. The water you use is what your Sewer Service charge is based on. We’ve provided information on how drips and leaks affect your water usage.

Q. If I fix my leak, can I get a credit on my water bill? On my Sewer Service charge?
Depending on whether the leak is inside the dwelling or business, or outside between the meter and the structure, call Baltimore City to see if an adjustment can be made on your water bill. For your Sewer Service charge, only leaks from water that did not go to sewer may be considered for an adjustment if repaired by a licensed plumber. Inside leaks like running toilets or dripping faucets are not eligible for an adjustment to the Sewer Service charge, because the water went through the sewer system and therefore incurred the cost of transporting it and cleaning it. Call Metro Finance at 410-887-2423 for additional information.

Q. What is an average Sewer Service charge?
For a family of four, the average Sewer Service charge is $1,111.66. This is based on 156 units of water used in a calendar year. A unit is based on 100 cubic feet of water or 748 gallons. Your quarterly usage can be found on your water bill from Baltimore City. Commercial and Industrial charges can vary based on the type of business. A hair salon would expect to use more water and have a higher charge than an accounting office.

Q. I’m on a well but connected to the public sewer system. How are the Sewer Service charges calculated?
Baltimore County charges those on well and public sewer based on the plumbing fixtures on the property. The permit that was obtained when these fixtures were installed is the basis for this charge.

Q. Where are the water and sewer mains located?
A. Call 410-887-2423 for information about the location related to your property.

Q. I am a disabled veteran and pay no property taxes. Do I have to pay Sewer Service charges, Water Distribution charges, or Water or Sewer Benefit charges?
A. Disabled veterans and their surviving spouses are exempt from payment of all Metropolitan District Charges as well as certain construction loan charges, such as water and sewer deficit charges, water and sewer property connection charges and water and sewer system connection charges. However, no exemption shall be granted for the special water and sewer installation charges (also known as the private plumber's bill). Contact the State Department of Assessments and Taxation for information on how to apply.

Q. I am a senior citizen on a fixed income. Do I have to pay Sewer Service charges, Water Distribution charges, or Water or Sewer Benefit charges?
A. Yes; however, taxpayers who are 60 years of age as of July 1 and are eligible for a Homeowner's Tax Credit by reason of income may be eligible to have their metropolitan benefit and utility charges deferred. For additional information, call the Office of Budget and Finance at 410-887-4100. Sewer Service charges are user fees and cannot be deferred.

Q. What are the dates of water consumption for the Sewer Service charge?
A. The Sewer Service charge is based on the amount of water consumed in the prior calendar year, January 1 to December 31.

Revised July 1, 2022         


A new website for Baltimore County

We're working to provide you with a better experience, and want your feedback. Learn more about our project and give your feedback.

Did This Page Help?
Fields marked with * are required.
Page Rating*