Skip Navigation

Development Management

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. How do I find out if my land can be subdivided?

A. If you are interested in subdividing your land, Development Management offers a pre-concept plan conference to assist you. Various representatives of the agencies who review development and subdivision meet on Monday mornings for 45-minute appointments with land owners to help them determine what is needed to subdivide land. To schedule a pre-concept plan conference call 410-887-3335.

Q. What land development projects are being considered in the near future?

A. Many of the current types of meetings are posted on the pages of Development Management, and the county calendar posts the date, locations and times. You may also subscribe to the community updates email for your district.

Q. What do I need to do to expand my small commercial building?

A. The Baltimore County Development Review Committee (DRC) is comprised of representatives of the Office of Zoning, Planning, Environmental Protection, Public Works, and Recreation and Parks. They meet on Monday afternoons to determine if requests such as expansions to commercial buildings meet the requirements of a limited exemption. Contact the Development Processing department at 410-887-3335 for additional information.

Q. I received a packet of information inviting me to a Community Input Meeting. What is that?

A. The current development process requires developers to contact adjacent property owners and selected community associations so they can attend a Community Input Meeting (CIM) as part of the development approval process. The CIM is where a developer describes his proposed project to representatives of the community and explains how it is to be accomplished. No decisions about the proposal are made at this stage of the process.

Q. How can I find out more about a new housing development proposed near my home?

A. Plans for approved housing developments are on file, and citizens are encouraged to come into the office of Development Management to review the file. We request that you call 410-887-3335 to have the file pulled so you can review it upon arrival, because we are not always able to pull files without prior notice. The office location is Room 123 of the County Office Building, 111 West Chesapeake Avenue, Towson, Maryland 21204.

Q. My neighbors and I would like to change the name of our street or addresses. What do we need to do?

A. A petition (PDF) for a road name change must be submitted to Development Management. A request for an address change requires a letter stating the reason for the request. Contact Joseph Chmura at 410-887-3335 for additional information.

Revised January 24, 2019         


A new website for Baltimore County

We're working to provide you with a better experience, and want your feedback. Learn more about our project and give your feedback.

Did This Page Help?
Fields marked with * are required.
Page Rating*