Applicants not currently employed by Baltimore County and who have received a conditional offer of employment (COE) from the hiring department are required to complete the hiring process outlined below, which will be paid for by the County. Make sure that the hiring department has your up-to-date contact information. Once you accept the COE, you must then:
Once you accept the COE, the hiring department will let you know that date and time of your scheduled physical examination, which includes a urine drug screening. OHR will contact you no more than five business days in advance to notify you of your appointment date and time. If you need an extension, call the County at 410-887-7537.
Within two weeks of receiving your COE, you must review and complete the Employment Background Investigation forms packet and schedule your fingerprint appointment. You are responsible for scheduling your fingerprint appointment.
It may take up to two weeks to collect and review the results of the pre-employment process.
When you have successfully completed the process, the hiring agency will notify you to schedule your first day of work.
About the Physical Examination
Call 410-887-7537 if you have questions about your physical. Examination appointments will be:
- Scheduled between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m., Monday through Friday
- At least three hours in duration
- Considered canceled if you are more than 10 minutes late
Mercy Medical Center, Business and Employee Health Services (BEHS)
1766 York Road
Lutherville, Maryland 21093
Parking: Parking is free.
- Bring a valid picture ID, such as a driver's license or other government-issued photo identification card.
- Do not bring any children or other guests. There are no accommodations to supervise children during the physical examination process. Mercy staff will not be able to proceed with your scheduled examination if you have a young child with you.
Important Note: If Mercy needs more information before recommending you for the position, you may receive instructions and must sign them. You are responsible for complying with these instructions by the deadline given to you, as well as paying any fees associated with compliance. If you choose not to comply, your COE will be rescinded and you will no longer be a job candidate.
Mercy should send the results of your physical to the County within three weeks after your appointment, which will include either their recommendation that you are physically capable of performing the responsibilities of the position, or the opposite. If your urine drug screening presents a positive result, you will be notified.
About the Background Investigation
It is important that we receive EBI results in a consistent manner for applicants hired in Baltimore County, as the EBI:
- Assists Baltimore County in identifying the suitability of job applicants for the position
- Preserves the safety and security of Baltimore County residents
- Maintains the integrity of Baltimore County government operations
The EBI includes, but is not limited to, an examination of the following:
- Criminal record
- Educational record
- Fingerprint check
- Driving record
- Social security number verification
EBI records are kept confidential and secure at OHR.
Baltimore County Public Safety Building
700 East Joppa Road
Towson, Maryland 21286
Parking: Ample, free parking is available in the Public Safety Building lot, except in areas marked reserved.
You will not be automatically disqualified if you have a criminal conviction, guilty plea, probation before judgment (PBJ), or finding of not criminally responsible (NCR), however, it is important for you to answer all questions thoroughly and provide complete and factual information pertaining to any of these. Failure to disclose the above information will be sufficient cause to disqualify you from employment, regardless of the seriousness of the offense. Note: You do not need to tell us about juvenile offenses unless you were tried as an adult. You do not need to tell us about expunged criminal records.
The factors that will be considered in making a determination about your suitability for employment include:
- Type of crime
- Frequency of violations/pattern of offenses
- Time elapsed since the conviction or disposition
- Applicant's age at the time of conviction or disposition
- Duties of the job
You will be notified if your COE has been rescinded and your application has been disqualified. You will receive copies of the records that disqualified you from employment for the position.
About the Fingerprinting Process
You must be fingerprinted regardless of whether you have previously been fingerprinted for another job, childcare or any other reason.
- The technician will review your forms for completion
- The technician will fingerprint you
- You will complete a U.S. Department of Homeland Security Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification
- The technician will review your identity and employment eligibility documents
Schedule Your Fingerprint Appointment
Most job candidates, including candidates for County Health and Human Services and Recreation and Parks will schedule online. Plan to arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment. Appointments last about 15 minutes.
If you are applying for a position with the following departments, call the coordinators below to schedule your appointment. Coordinators are available during business hours, from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- State Health and Human Services Candidates—Call HHS Human Resources at 410-853-3900.
- Fire Department Candidates—Call Captain Gretchen Yingling at 410-887-4865.
- Central Communications (911) Center Candidates—Call Joseph Ireton at 410-307-2038.
- Baltimore County Public Safety Building
700 East Joppa Road
Towson, Maryland 21286
Parking: Free parking is available in the Public Safety Building lot, except in areas marked reserved.
- Department of Recreation and Parks
9831 Van Buren Lane
Cockeysville, Maryland 21030
- Office of Human Resources (OHR)
308 Allegheny Avenue
Towson, Maryland 21204
Parking: Applicants must use metered parking for their appointment. Do not park in the OHR lot.
Cancellations Due to Inclement Weather
Per the County's inclement weather policy, if the County implements Operational Plan I (Liberal Leave) or Operational Plan II (Offices Closed), fingerprint appointments for that day will be canceled and you must reschedule.
Learn more about the hiring process details for the below departments: