If you own a building in Baltimore County that contains six dwelling units or fewer that you intend to rent, each rental unit must be registered or approved for exemption by Baltimore County before tenants move in.
There are a number of conditions that may qualify your property for exemption. Review the criteria listed on the Exemption Affidavit (PDF) and if any of these conditions apply, complete an application for exemption.
If your property is not qualified for exemption, follow the steps below to register it with Baltimore County.
Step 1: Know the Registration Fees
- Owner-occupied, one or two tenants: $40 per unit
- Owner-occupied, three or more tenants: $50 per unit
- Not owner-occupied: $50 per unit
Step 2: Have Your Property Inspected
Step 3: Gather Required Documentation
You must provide the following with your application:
- The Inspection Sheet (PDF) completed by a licensed home inspector in Step 2 above
- A Carbon Monoxide Alarm Verification (PDF)
- If the home was built before 1978, a lead inspection certificate
Step 4: Decide How You Want to Apply
Apply or Renew Online
To apply for or renew your license online, you'll need:
- A valid email address
- A Visa or Mastercard to pay applicable fees
- All documentation from Step 3 above
Apply or renew your license.
Apply or Renew by Mail or In Person
To apply or renew by mail or in person, you must:
- Print and complete the Rental Housing Application (PDF)
- Print and complete a payment coupon (PDF)
- Include all documentation from Step 3 above
Then, return your application and supporting documentation to:
Rental Housing License Payments
Historic Courthouse, Room 151
400 Washington Avenue
Towson, Maryland 21204
- Carbon Monoxide Frequently Asked Questions (PDF)
- Carbon Monoxide Alarm Regulations (PDF)
- Landlords and Tenants: Tips on Avoiding Disputes (PDF)
- Nuisance Complaints Procedure and Form (PDF)
If you have questions about the registration or exemption process, call the Department of Permits, Approvals and Inspections at 410-887-6060 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Revised October 5, 2015