You must register and be licensed before a tenant moves into the property.
Register or Renew
If your property is not qualified for exemption, follow the steps below to register or renew it with Baltimore County.
- Owner-occupied, one or two tenants: $48 per unit
- Owner-occupied, three or more tenants: $60 per unit
- Not owner-occupied: $60 per unit
If the inspector is licensed or accredited with the state to perform both lead and home inspections, they can perform both required inspections for properties built prior to 1978.
Inspectors look for the following:
- Smoke detectors
- Carbon Monoxide alarms are installed in the common area outside of sleeping areas and on every level of the dwelling unit
- Electrical system has no apparent visual hazards
- All plumbing is functional with no apparent visual hazards
- All windows designed to be opened are operational
- All combustion appliances (furnace, hot water heater, dryer, etc.) are properly vented
- Secondary means of escape from sleeping areas exist with no exterior health or safety hazards
Baltimore County does not negotiate rates of individual inspectors. The inspector's charges are negotiated between the property owner and the inspector.
Section 8 Rental Units
If your property is a Section 8 rental unit you do not have to do a separate licensing inspection. You must provide a copy of a Section 8 inspection that was completed in the past 12 months as well as the Rental Housing License Application and required fee.
Apply or Renew Online
Note: Please be sure to check that your rental property complies with all the Baltimore County Zoning Regulations. To locate your Zoning Designation, please visit My Neighborhood.
To apply for or renew your license online, you'll need:
- A valid email address
- A Visa or Mastercard to pay applicable fees
- All documentation from Step 3 above
Apply or Renew by Mail or In Person
To apply or renew by mail or in person, you must:
- Print and complete the Rental Housing Application.
- Print and complete a payment coupon.
- Include all documentation from Step 3:
Then, return your application and supporting documentation to:
Rental Housing License Payments
Historic Courthouse, Room 151
400 Washington Avenue
Towson, Maryland 21204