Building Plans Review
E. John Bryan Jr., Supervisor
County Office Building
111 West Chesapeake Avenue
Towson, Maryland 21204
Notice Of Adoption Of New Building Code
Effective July 1, 2012
Building construction in Baltimore county shall comply with the 2012 editions of the international building code, the international residential code, the international mechanical code and the international energy code as well as local amendments, all as set forth in County Council Bill Number 40-12. (PDF)
Attention Residential Permit Applicants
Building Plans Review is responsible for reviewing all new building plans and permits to assure adherence to the Baltimore County building (PDF), fire and related codes. All PDF documents below will open in a new window.
- Current Building and Fire Codes - List of current codes in effect for Baltimore County
- Carbon Monoxide Alarms Required For Dwellings That Use Fossil Fuels (PDF)
Energy Conservation Information / Forms
- State of Maryland Energy Code
- Building Thermal Envelope One Story Additions 600 Square Feet or Less (PDF)
- Residential Energy Conservation Code Introduction
- Energy Efficiency Certificate of Compliance (PDF)
- Notice to all Residential Permit Applicants Regarding Construction Documentation (PDF)
- Use Inspection Connection to schedule inspections or inquire about permits 24/7.
- Baltimore County Building Code (PDF) - Baltimore County Bill 40-12
Accessible Parking Requirements
Additional Documents and Information
- Adopted Design Manual Changes - The Design Division of the Baltimore County Bureau of Engineering and Construction has adopted changes to portions of the "Design Manual - Chapter on Structures" (PDF) regarding retaining walls referred to in the Baltimore County Building Code, Section 1806.2.
- Baltimore County Fire Prevention Code - Regulates the hazards of fire and explosion.
- Building Plans Review (FAQ)
- Forms - Frequently requested PDF forms and information used in the building plans review process are available for download.
- Public Information Act (PIA) Form (PDF)
- Floodplain Information - If you are building or renovating in a waterfront or stream area, the floodplain regulations can be confusing. Here are some of the questions, answers, guidelines, and forms that people frequently request.
Revised October 29, 2013