Emergency Medical Services (EMS) to Firefighter Bridge Program
The EMS to Firefighter Bridge program allows trained EMS providers to be cleared to ride Baltimore County suppression equipment.
Firefighter II (MFSPQB, NPQS, IFSAC, or DOD/IFSAC certification)
- Applicants must print and sign the EMS to Firefighter Bridge Receipt of Packet (PDF) and forward it to the Fire Rescue Academy (FRA). The interested person will then be placed on a roster indicating their intent.
- Applicants must download and complete the EMS to Firefighter Bridge In-Station Objectives Packet (PDF) prior to participating in a live burn. Officers must sign appropriate areas indicating applicant is proficient in the skill.
- When an applicant states they have completed their packet, their officer will contact the FRA and schedule a test date. The FRA will schedule four bridge refresher dates per year where pertinent skills are covered to ensure consistency.
- Once reporting to the FRA, the candidate will perform the SCBA Maze followed by eight Basic Firefighter Skills Cards (PDF). If a candidate completes all of the requirements they will be cleared to function as a firefighter. The final step will be to schedule a burn with their officer at the FRA within 30 days.
Failure of Skill Stations
If an applicant fails one station they can retest that same day after receiving remediation for the failed skill and signs a Form 51 indicating remediation has been received.
If an applicant fails two or three stations, remediation will be conducted at the member's station with their company officer. A Form 51 must be completed by the company officer and the candidate must schedule a retest no earlier than two weeks from the initial test date.
If an applicant fails four or more stations, or if the applicant fails any station during the retest, the applicant must return to their field assignment and retrain with their officers. They will not be able to retest within a three month period. A Form 51 must be completed by the company officer for all failed skills. A completed packet and Form 51 must accompany the applicant before rescheduling.
- EMS to Firefighter Bridge Receipt of Packet (PDF)
- EMS to Firefighter Bridge In Station Objectives (PDF)
- Basic Firefighter Skills Cards (PDF)
Revised November 1, 2013