- Are you registering for the first time?
- Are you already registered and need to change your address, name, or party affiliation?
- Are you away from home and you want to register in your home state?
Am I eligible to register to vote?
To register to vote, you must be:
- A U.S. citizen
- A Maryland resident
- At least 16 years of age*
You cannot have been:
- Convicted of buying or selling votes
- Found by a court to be incapable of voting by reason of mental disability
- Convicted of a felony or if you have, you have completed a court-ordered sentence of imprisonment, including any term of parole or probation for the conviction
*You may register to vote if you are at least 16 years old but cannot vote unless you will be at least 18 years old by the next general election.
Help America Vote Act
Federal law requires that new applicants, who register by mail after January 1, 2003, provide identification information upon application or before casting his or her vote at the polls. To streamline the process at the polls, we require the applicant to send the board of elections one of the following:
1. A copy of a current or valid photo identification
2. A copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck or government document that shows the voter's name and address
Note: If the voter is required to provide identification information, but fails to do so at the polls, the voter will be issued a provisional ballot. The provisional ballot will only be counted if the voter is duly registered and provides the identification information before the counting of the provisional ballots occurs. It is vital that the voter provide proof of identification to avoid confusion at the polls and to avoid the hassle of coming to the Board of Elections Office during the counting of paper ballots.
Required or Requested Information to Apply for Registration
- Your name, address and telephone number
- Your date of birth, place of birth and gender
- Your citizenship status
- Your party affiliation
- Your drivers license number or social security number
- If previously registered, the name and address on your prior registration
- Your original signature. Nothing can be processed without your signature.
When to Register
The deadline to register or change your information is on day 21, prior to the election at 9 p.m. Registration reopens on day 11, after the election.
How to Obtain an Application
Voter registration applications can be obtained at the following locations:
- Download the application from the State Board of Elections directly
- Baltimore County Board of Elections (by telephone or in person)
- Local post offices
- Motor Vehicle Administration Offices
- County municipal offices
- All public assistance offices
- All offices providing state-funded programs
When Am I Registered to Vote?
You are considered a registered voter only upon receipt of your voter notification card from the Board of Elections. Voter notification cards returned from the Post Office are processed and the applicant is canceled.
Registration in Maryland is Permanent
Your Maryland voter registration never needs to be renewed. As long as you remain a resident of the County and have actively voted in the last two Presidential Elections, your voter registration in Maryland is active. If you have not voted in the last two Presidential elections, your voter registration status will be canceled. You will need to activate your registration status in order to vote in the next election.
Voter Notification Card
After you register or any time you change your information, you will receive a voter notification card including the following information:
- Your name and address
- Date issued
- The affiliation of your choice
- The name and address of your polling place
- Your Election District and Precinct, Legislative, Congressional and Councilmanic Districts
- Voter identification number
Maryland waives registration for most overseas citizens who are eligible to vote in Federal Elections only. Contact your Board of Elections for additional information.
Voter Registration Volunteer
If you wish to hold a registration drive in your community, church, social club, etc., you and your group must be certified. For groups of 20 or more call the Board of Elections to make special arrangements. For an individual class, come in person Monday through Friday between the hours of 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Contact Baltimore County Voter Registration Department
Questions about changes in Voter Registration status, address, name, party affiliation or, if you need information on voter registration, refer to the Baltimore County Voter Registration Department. Contact the Registration Supervisor.
All correspondence is to be to mailed to:
Baltimore County Board of Elections
11112 Gilroy Road, Suite 104
Hunt Valley, Maryland 21031
You may fax correspondence directly to 410-494-2774. Questions and answers for voter registration are subject to change by the Maryland State Board of Elections. Refer to State Boards how to register to vote for latest changes and revisions.
Revised August 27, 2015
Revised April 6, 2016