Skip Navigation

COVID-19 Coronavirus Updates and Guidance

The County is taking a number of actions to keep residents safe and minimize the spread of COVID-19. Find status information for County operations and services.

Storm Drains Design Frequently Asked Questions

Q. My home gets flooded from stream flow. Who should I call?
Call the Bureau of Highways at 410-887-3560. They will investigate and determine if any debris or culvert blockage exists and refer the problem to Storm Drain Design if assistance is needed.

Q. An inlet in my street is clogged causing flooding. Who should I call?
Call the Bureau of Highways at 410-887-3560. They handle roadway maintenance problems and will unclog the inlet.

Q. The stream next to my house is causing my bank to erode. Who should I call?
Call the Department of Environmental Protection and Sustainability at 410-887-3733. They handle all complaints involving stream erosion.

Q. My house gets flooded from runoff from a County road. Who should I call?
The Bureau of Highways at 410-887-3560 will investigate complaints involving insufficient or undersized culverts or inlets. They will refer the problem to Storm Drains Design if assistance is needed.

Q. I live next to a stream. Where can I go to see the floodplain boundary?
The Department of Public Works maintains a library of floodplain maps and is the local repository for the Federal Flood Insurance maps. Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM) copies and assistance can be obtained through the Bureau of Engineering. For more information, visit them in Room 219 of the County Office Building or call 410-887-3984.

Q. I have flooding on my property but it does not appear to be related to a maintenance problem. What should I do?
Call Storm Drain Design 410-887-3711 to report the problem. In this type of situation, we need to investigate to determine the best approach. We will either route the information to the proper agency or send a staff member to visit the site to determine the proper course of action.

Q. My basement is wet every time it rains. Can you fix it?
Baltimore County is not permitted by the County Code to make improvements to private property. View a fact sheet (PDF) with advice for implementing a solution or hire a private contractor.

Q. What is the status of a storm drain project?
Call Storm Drains Design at 410-887-3711 for information regarding design and scheduling of projects prior to construction. Call the Construction Contracts Administration at 410-887-3461 for information regarding the construction status of a project.

Revised February 15, 2019         


A new website for Baltimore County

We're working to provide you with a better experience, and want your feedback. Learn more about our project and give your feedback.

Did This Page Help?
Fields marked with * are required.
Page Rating*