Unless listed below as being prohibited or restricted, most other trash and household items will be accepted for disposal. You may also wish to consult the Reuse Directory to find organizations that accept donations of usable items.
The following items are prohibited from disposal and will not be accepted at the Eastern Landfill:
- Acids, caustics, pesticides, chemicals
- Animal carcasses
- Drums or tanks (unless clean and cut in half)
- Explosive or flammable materials
- Large stumps
- Liquids or liquid waste
- Medical or radioactive waste
- Wood or logs greater than eight inches in diameter and six feet in length
- Most large items that cannot be lifted manually
Restricted Items Requiring Pre-Approval
You may elect to accept only some or none of the items listed below. These items must be listed on the Community Clean-up Application and transported in a non-commercially marked pick-up or other vehicle. The following three types of waste are acceptable if pre-approved by the Bureau of Solid Waste Management:
Appliances with freon (including refrigerators, air conditioners and freezers)
These items should be delivered in a pick-up truck or other vehicle from which the appliances may be manually unloaded at the designated location.
Metal items (other than refrigerators and air conditioners)
These items may be delivered in a roll-off container that has nothing but metal items. Alternatively, metal items may be placed in a pick-up or other vehicle to be delivered to the Landfill.
Accepted electronics should be delivered in a pick-up truck or other vehicle from which the electronics may be manually unloaded at the designated location. Televisions and monitors are handled differently by the County than other household electronics and must be segregated from all other items (even other electronics). Televisions and monitors may then be unloaded at the drop-off area specifically for televisions and monitors.
Tires (passenger car, motorcycle and light truck tires)
Tires should be delivered in a pick-up truck or other vehicle from which they may be loaded into the designated trailer. Tires should be clean and off the rims.
The following items also require pre-approval and should not be placed in roll-off containers. These items should be transported to the landfill by other means in order to be easily unloaded and separated at the site.
- Asbestos materials, including shingles
- Batteries (vehicle and marine)
- Household hazardous chemicals
Recyclable or Compostable Items
To assist the County with recycling, the following items should be brought to the landfill separately using your own vehicle.
- Asphalt or black top
- Brush or yard waste
- Concrete or rock
- Containers (glass, plastic, tin cans, aluminum)
- Paper or cardboard
The number of roll-off containers that your organization is eligible to receive for County funding is based on the number of households within the boundaries of the clean-up area:
- 50 to 100 households: one roll-off container
- 101 to 300 households: up to two roll-off containers
- 301 to 500 households: up to four roll-off containers
- 501 to 1,000 households: up to six roll-off containers
- Over 1,000 households: up to eight roll-off containers
Consider the level of participation expected and modify your estimate so that unneeded dumpsters are not requested.