The Community Planning Division is organized into three geographic sectors (northern, eastern, western) and serves as the primary contact for planning-related matters.
A number of community planning initiatives are currently underway. Your engagement is needed for these studies.
Main Street Maryland
The Main Street Maryland program is a place-based designation that strives to strengthen the economic potential of Maryland’s traditional main streets and neighborhoods. Learn more about the County's approved main streets in Dundalk, Reisterstown and the Towson affiliate designation.
The Sustainable Communities Program is a place-based designation offering a comprehensive package of resources that support holistic strategies for community development, revitalization and sustainability.
Catonsville and Essex Sustainable Community renewal designations are currently being pursued. The state requires local government to renew Sustainable Communities designation every five years. This renewal application provides an opportunity for local governments to involve the community in developing a five-year vision for their area, to outline new strategies and set new priorities.
The goals of developing and renewing a Sustainable Community designation are:
- Involve the community in developing a long-term vision for that area
- Define policies and actions that will guide how the area should be maintained or changed in the future
- Identify future land uses in an overall community-wide context
- Recommend future infrastructure improvements
- Provide design guidance and implementation guidance for private and public investments and strategies that should be pursued to realize the vision for the area
Some recommendations in the Sustainable Community Area Plan may take the form of:
- Land use and zoning amendments
- Plans for open space
- Future transportation studies and projects
- Capital projects
- Renderings and sketches depicting urban design guidelines for the area
- Items requiring further study
Watch the training from Maryland Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) and representatives about the various state revitalization programs and funding available to communities located in the Sustainable Community designation and Main Street designation.
Contact Your Community Planner
To learn more about your sector or current initiatives happening within your community, contact the planner listed below.
|Ngone Seye Diop|
Lead Planner, Western Sector
|Northwest Gateways Sustainable Community Area Plan|
Planner, Western Sector
|Arbutus Sustainable Community Designation|
Planner, Western Sector
|Pikesville Revitalization Action Plan|
Lead Planner, Northern Sector
Lead Planner, Eastern Sector
|Essex Technical Assistance Panel (TAP)|