Only a licensed electrical contractor who is registered with Baltimore County can apply for an electrical permit.
An electrical permit is required for:
- All electrical work, including the extension of circuit wiring
- All types of electrical installations, including new installations and low voltage wiring, which are required to be installed by a contractor licensed in Baltimore County.
- All types of wiring and equipment installations, including connecting replacement equipment to existing wiring.
An electrical permit is not required for:
- Ordinary maintenance of existing electrical systems including light fixtures (such as lamps) and switches.
Proper permits must be obtained prior to the commencement of any work. Working without a permit is a violation and subject to a civil penalty of $1,000.
Existing electrical services are not required to be upgraded; however, mortgage companies may require a minimum 100-amp, 240-volt service with circuit breakers. Aluminum wiring is not required to be replaced.
View electrical permit fees.
The following documents are required when submitting an electrical permit application for solar panels only:
- Solar Photovoltaic (PV) Inspection Checklist
- Certification of Solar PV
- View the Solar PV installation guidelines and requirements.
- View the Electric Vehicle (EV) Charging Station requirements.
Be sure to complete all steps below in the specified order. Failure to do so will delay permit issuance.
Permit fees are required at the time of application and are not refundable. Review the Electrical Permit Fee Schedule to see what the cost will be at the time of application.
- Residential applications filed by a tenant must include a letter of permission from the owner of the property.
- If using a private contractor, you must provide the Maryland Home Improvement License number of said contractor.
Permits will be issued in your online portal. To check status of your permit, call 410-887-3900 between the hours of 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.
APPLY FOR A PERMIT
Once you have reviewed the process outlined above and have gathered your required documentation, apply for your permit online using the button below.