To adopt a pet from our shelter, you must:
The adoption fee is $50 for dogs and $40 for cats. The fee includes:
- a spayed or neutered pet (dog, puppy, cat or kitten)
- first series of vaccinations, including rabies shot
- animal license, as required by Baltimore County law
- microchip with lifetime registry
Learn About Your New Pet
Adopting a pet is exciting, but it's important to introduce new things one at a time. Watch a video about the two-week shutdown for dogs and cats. Watch a video on how to properly introduce your dog to your new dog.
Discounts for Veterans
Veterans receive a half-off adoption fee year-round. Animal adoption, and spay and neuter fees are waived for qualified veterans during the Veteran and Memorial holidays.
Baltimore County Animal Shelter is a proud adoption partner of Pets for Patriots, a nationally operating 501(c)(3) charity creating opportunities for veterans and service members to save hard-to-adopt shelter pets.
Proof of military service will be requested upon adoption or scheduling of the spay or neuter appointment. Accepted proof of service includes:
- A DD214
- Discharge papers
- A valid driver's license or state ID with a veteran designation