To adopt a pet from our shelter, you must:
The adoption fee is $50 for dogs and $40 for cats. The fee includes:
- A spayed or neutered pet (dog, puppy, cat or kitten)
- First series of vaccinations, including rabies shot
- Animal license, as required by Baltimore County law
- Microchip with lifetime registry
Discounts for Veterans
Proof of military service will be requested upon adoption or scheduling of the spay or neuter appointment. Accepted proof of service includes:
- A DD214
- Discharge papers
- A valid driver's license or state ID with a veteran designation
Veterans receive a half-off adoption fee year-round.
Animal adoption, and spay and neuter fees are waived for qualified veterans during the Veteran and Memorial holidays.
Baltimore County Animal Shelter is a proud adoption partner of Pets for Patriots, a nationally operating 501(c)(3) charity creating opportunities for veterans and service members to save hard-to-adopt shelter pets.
Learn About Your New Pet
Adopting a pet is exciting, but it's important to introduce new things one at a time. Informative videos are available on the following topics:
- The two-week shutdown for dogs and cats.
- How to properly introduce your dog to your new dog.
- Steps to take when adopting a second cat.