Get Ready! Get Set! Get Fit! Baltimore County Department of Aging (BCDA) provides a diversified fitness and exercise program geared specifically to adults age 60 and older.
Walk Maryland Day—Wednesday, October 4
Walk Maryland Day is a celebration of our official state exercise—walking! It is always celebrated statewide on the first Wednesday in October to coincide with Walk to School Day. It is a call to action to promote awareness about regular walking year-round, to encourage physical activity and improved health, engaging Marylanders with fun walks for all. Join your local senior center in one of these planned activities!
- Arbutus Senior Center—Wednesday, October 4 from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.—Meet up with a friend (or a bunch of friends) to walk around the center.
- Ateaze Senior Center—Wednesday, October 4 from 10 to 11 a.m.—Meet up in the MPR for a one-mile walk (33 laps). Don't forget to wear your Maryland colors!
- Bykota Senior Center—Wednesday, October 4 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.—West Towson walk and scavenger hunt.
- Catonsville Senior Center—Wednesday, October 4 at 9:30 a.m.—Walk the Catonsville Short Line Road trail with Bridget Johnson.
- Cockeysville Senior Center—Wednesday, October 4—Track your steps and enter them on the chart. Member with the greatest steps wins a gift card.
- Edgemere Senior Center—Wednesday, October 4 from 11 a.m. to noon—Meet up with staff in the sunroom for a one-mile walk and enjoy the waterview. Wear your Maryland Colors!
- Essex Senior Center—Wednesday, October 4 at 11 a.m.—Join Zoe for a walk around the block.
- Fleming Senior Center—Wednesday, October 4 at 11 a.m.—Join Melvin Wilson, Sr. and Harvey Brice as they take you on a brisk walk around Turner Station community.
- Jacksonville Senior Center—Tuesday, October 3 from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.—Walk on the trail on the center's property.
- Liberty Senior Center - October 1 to 31—Pick up a booklet and track your miles walked during October. There will be a celebration at the end of the month.
- Overlea-Fullerton Senior Center—Stop by during the month of October for information on how to start a neighborhood walking program.
- Parkville Senior Center—Friday, October 6 at 9 a.m.—Join the nature club every Friday for a nature walk.
- Reisterstown Senior Center - Friday, October 6 from 9:30 to 10:30 a.m.—Join the weekly walkers from the Keenagers Walking club for a pretty stroll through Hannah Moore Park.
- Seven Oaks Senior Center—Wednesday, October 4 at 9 a.m.—Join Karen for a walk around the Seven Oaks neighborhood.
- Victory Villa Senior Center—Wednesday, October 4 at 10 a.m.—Join staff for a walk in the neighborhood.
On-Demand Video Workouts
Visit our fitness YouTube playlist for fun ways to get fit.
Learn more about the membership in the Cycling Seniors program, for those age 60 and up that are interested in bicycle rides around Maryland and surrounding areas.
Annual 5K Run-Walk and One-Mile Walk
Novice or advanced runners of all ages are invited to attend the Get Ready! Get Set! Get Fit! 5K Run-Walk and One-Mile Walk to support older adult health and fitness by raising much-needed funds for County senior exercise classes and fitness centers. The 17th annual event is tentatively scheduled for Sunday, September 17, 2023.
Join one of our 14 fitness centers to work out on your own schedule and at your own pace. All of our fitness facilities are equipped with:
- Flexibility and stretching stations
- Free weights
- Recumbent bikes and steppers
- Strength training circuits
- Certified personal trainers—For an additional fee, trainers are available to conduct assessments, develop individualized exercise plans and oversee your fitness program.
Pay the low, annual fee of $80 for access to all 14 centers, or pay $50 for a six-month membership.
The fitness facilities are drop-in centers monitored by volunteers. There is no onsite, paid supervisory staff. If you are interested in earning a free fitness center membership, contact your senior center director today.
To learn more about the wide variety of exercise classes, group sports and fitness opportunities listed below, contact the senior centers directly.
|Program Name||Senior Center Location of Program|
|Balance Your Noodle||Liberty|
|Chair Dance and Tone||Pikesville|
|Core De Fore||Seven Oaks|
Easy Does it Exercise
Move with Balance
Movin’ and Groovin’
|On the Move||Jacksonville|
Power Up and Cardio
Rock and Fit
|Rockin' with Rhonda||Reisterstown|
|Strength and Fitness|
Strengthen, Tone, Condition
Tai Chi for Better Balance
Torn 2 B Fit
|Weights and Toning||Liberty|
|Zumba Gold Dance and Toning||Jacksonville|