Most Popular Services
The commission's purpose is to:
- Serve as an advocate for women's issues.
- Disseminate information which will contribute to meeting the needs of women.
- Provide recommendations on matters relating to sex discrimination, equal rights and opportunities and other issues of concern to women.
- Investigate conditions which define the unmet needs of women.
- Work to remove inequities in such areas as housing, recreation, employment, education, community services and others.
- Provide contact information and referrals for services in the County related to the needs of women.
- Work in partnership with the National Association of Commissions for Women (NACW) to promote passage of laws and legislation of interest to women.
View the bylaws for the Commission.
The time for change is now and we are more than ready. Join us in being "Bold for Change." View upcoming Commission meetings, or upcoming events below.
The Commission for Women has identified current initiatives:
- Human Trafficking Awareness promotes the eradication of human trafficking and monitors the trafficking of persons in both lawful and illicit industries in the County. A human trafficking study conducted by the Commission for Women in 2013 confirmed that human trafficking exists in Maryland and the County.
- Domestic Violence is dedicated to monitoring and assisting victims of abuse in women, children and the elderly.
- Women’s Health educates and provides resources for well-being of women and girls.
- Woman of the Year honors Baltimore County women who have made significant contributions to the community.
- Women’s Conference educates women regarding issues including empowerment, financial management, workforce and healthy relationships.
- Legislative issues of interest to women are monitored.
- Semestral internships and mentorship for students on a particular study that is relevant to women’s issues.
National Association Awards
The Commission for Women is a proud recipient of the following National Association of Commission for Women (NACW) Achievement Awards:
- 2018—"Diversity Dimensions" is an ongoing series of interactive panel discussions on exploring differences in a safe, positive and nurturing environment.
- 2015—"Maryland Freedom Conference on Human Trafficking” was awarded for a successful regional conference held at Towson University, which was the first of its kind that focused primarily on educating the public about the issue of human trafficking.
- 2014—"Women Empowerment Expo” was a women empowerment expo aimed at enhancing women’s lives that addressed issues that specifically impact their health, hearts and pocketbooks.
- 2013—"Power of the Purse” event helped educate the public and raise awareness about the issue of human trafficking in our state.