The Department of Aging State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) provides one-on-one assistance with Part D research for Medicare beneficiaries at Senior Centers during the Annual Part D Open Enrollment from October 15 to December 7. The Open Enrollment period is the time to search for the best and least expensive Prescription Drug Plan for 2024.
SHIP has trained counselors to assist you with evaluating your Part D choices. You can schedule an appointment or one-on-one, in-person assistance at the senior center location of your choice.
WHAT TO BRING WITH YOU
Your Medicare card and any other health care card that you use for coverage of your medical expenses
A list of all medications that you take—include correct spelling, dosage and how frequently you take it. If you use medications from a vial, inhaler, tube or jar, write down the size of the container (may be listed as cc, ml, gm on the label) or bring the container with you.
Financial information (only dollar amounts, not account numbers or the actual documents) to determine eligibility for financial assistance with Medicare Prescription Drug costs. The Extra Help program does count assets, whereas the Maryland Senior Prescription Drug Assistance Program does not.
- Social security before deductions
- Any pension, annuity or other retirement income
- Distributions or withdrawals from retirement accounts, such as IRA, 401(k), 403(b), 457(b) or SEP
- Dividend, interest income or capital gains
Assets (if applying for extra help)
- Does not count: primary residence, vehicle, burial expenses of $1,500 per person, term life insurance policies or personal possessions (jewelry, art, etc.)
- Bank accounts (checking, savings, CDs)
- Stocks, bonds, mutual funds, retirement accounts, annuities, other investments
- Real estate (other than primary residence); however, Extra Help may not count rental property whose income is needed for self-support
Schedule Your Appointment
To schedule your appointment, call the SHIP office at 410-887-2059 or schedule online. You will need to provide a telephone number and email address when scheduling online. Individuals should schedule their own appointment.