Four Health Tips for the Fourth of July
The Baltimore County Health Department wants to remind County residents to enjoy a safe holiday by keeping cool and following these four simple safety tips for the Fourth of July.
- Never leave your child in a parked, unattended car.
- When using approved hand-held and ground-based fireworks, keep children at a distance.
- Keep an eye on young children when spending time at the pool.
- Keep children hydrated with water.
- If you go to a large event, decide on a meeting point in case anyone gets separated from the group.
- Don't drink alcoholic beverages in excess; they increase risk of dehydration.
- Avoid mosquito bites by using skin or clothing repellents; follow instructions on the label.
- Wash hands and surfaces often.
- Keep hot food hot and cold food cold.
- Cook all food to the appropriate temperature.
- Do not defrost food at room temperature. Place foods that need to defrost in the refrigerator.
- Avoid taking pets to fireworks displays.
- Never leave your pets in the car.
- Make sure your pets are wearing identification tags so that if they do become lost, they can be returned promptly.
Revised June 4, 2014