About the Commission
Woman of the Year Awards 2016
Each year the Baltimore County Commission for Women accepts nominations for its annual "Woman of the Year," "Young Woman of the Year" and "Women Making a Difference" awards.
Review the Woman and Young Woman of the Year 2015 award winners.
Family Fun Fest
The Baltimore County Commission for Women, Baltimore County Department of Health and Human Services, ShareBaby and Jack and Jill of Baltimore County partnered to host free Family Fun Fest (PDF) and promote healthy families in Baltimore County.
The Baltimore County Commission for Women was proud to receive the National Association of Commission for Women (NACW) Achievement Award in recognition of the most successful (2012) "Power of the Purse Event" which helped educate the public and raise awareness about the issue of Human Trafficking in our State.
The Commission for Women was established by an act of the Baltimore County Council on January 3, 1977, and held its first meeting on June 23, 1977.
The Commission consists of 21 members: 14 appointed by the County Executive, one appointed by each County Council member. Commissioners, residents of Baltimore County, serve three-year terms.
Mission and Purpose
It is the mission of the Baltimore County Commission for Women, through education and outreach, to identify and advocate for programs, legislation and services to meet the needs of the women of Baltimore County.
- Serve as an advocate for women's issues.
- Disseminate information which will contribute to meeting the needs of women.
- Provide recommendations on matters relating to sex discrimination, equal rights and opportunities and other issues of concern to women.
- Investigate conditions which define the unmet needs of women.
- Work to remove inequities in such areas as housing, recreation, employment, education, community services and others.
- Provide contact information and referrals for services in the County related to the needs of women.
- Work in partnership with the National Association of Commissions for Women (NACW) to promote passage of laws and legislation of interest to women.
The Commission for Women has identified current initiatives.
- Human Trafficking Awareness promotes the eradication of human trafficking and monitors the trafficking of persons in both lawful and illicit industries in Baltimore County. A human trafficking study was conducted Spring of 2012 by the Commission for Women confirmed that human trafficking exists in Maryland — and that it is in our own backyard. NACW Achievement Award (PDF)
- Domestic Violence is dedicated to monitoring and assisting victims of abuse in women, children and the elderly — project concentration in West Baltimore County.
- Women’s Health educates and provides resources for well-being of women and girls — project concentration in East Baltimore County.
- Woman of the Year honors Baltimore County women who have made significant contributions to the community. (See previous winners)
- Women’s Conference educates women regarding issues including empowerment, financial management, workforce and healthy relationships.
- Legislative issues of interest to women are monitored.
- Semestral Internships and mentorship for students on a particular study that is relevant to women’s issues.
Meetings of the Commission for Women are held on the third Thursday of each month at 6 p.m.
Historic Courthouse, Mezzanine
400 Washington Avenue
Towson, Maryland 21204
Revised February 8, 2016