About the Commission
The Commission is celebrating its 40th year anniversary! The Baltimore County Women's Commission sponsors events throughout the year. Plan to attend!
Woman of the Year Awards
2017 Awards Presentation
Each year the Baltimore County Commission for Women accepts nominations for its annual "Woman of the Year", "Young Woman of the Year" and "Women Making a Difference" awards. This will be our 35th year honoring women for their outstanding contributions to the community.
The awards presentation will be held on Tuesday, March 28, at 6 p.m., in the County Council Chambers. Invitations will be mailed prior to the event.
Review the Woman and Young Woman of the Year 2017 award winners.
Women Empowerment Expo 2016
The Baltimore County Commission for Women and the Junior League of Baltimore partnered to bring Women Empowerment Expo to Baltimore County.
The Baltimore County Commission for Women is proud to receive the National Association of Commission for Women (NACW) Achievement Award for three consecutive years.
“Power of the Purse Event” helped educate the public and raise awareness about the issue of Human Trafficking in our State.
“Women Empowerment Expo” was a woman empowerment expo aimed at enhancing women’s lives that addressed issues that specifically impact their health, hearts and pocketbooks.
“Maryland Freedom Conference on Human Trafficking” was awarded for a successful regional conference, held at Towson University, first of its kind that focused primarily on educating the public about the issue of Human Trafficking.
The Commission for Women was established by an act of the Baltimore County Council on January 3, 1977, and held its first meeting on June 23, 1977.
The Commission consists of 21 members: 14 appointed by the County Executive, one appointed by each County Council member. Commissioners, residents of Baltimore County, serve three-year terms.
Mission and Purpose
It is the mission of the Baltimore County Commission for Women, through education and outreach, to identify and advocate for programs, legislation and services to meet the needs of the women of Baltimore County.
- Serve as an advocate for women's issues.
- Disseminate information which will contribute to meeting the needs of women.
- Provide recommendations on matters relating to sex discrimination, equal rights and opportunities and other issues of concern to women.
- Investigate conditions which define the unmet needs of women.
- Work to remove inequities in such areas as housing, recreation, employment, education, community services and others.
- Provide contact information and referrals for services in the County related to the needs of women.
- Work in partnership with the National Association of Commissions for Women (NACW) to promote passage of laws and legislation of interest to women.
The Commission for Women has identified current initiatives.
- Human Trafficking Awareness promotes the eradication of human trafficking and monitors the trafficking of persons in both lawful and illicit industries in Baltimore County. A human trafficking study was conducted Spring of 2012 by the Commission for Women confirmed that human trafficking exists in Maryland — and that it is in our own backyard. NACW Achievement Award (PDF)
- Domestic Violence is dedicated to monitoring and assisting victims of abuse in women, children and the elderly — project concentration in West Baltimore County.
- Women’s Health educates and provides resources for well-being of women and girls — project concentration in East Baltimore County.
- Woman of the Year honors Baltimore County women who have made significant contributions to the community.
- Women’s Conference educates women regarding issues including empowerment, financial management, workforce and healthy relationships.
- Legislative issues of interest to women are monitored.
- Semestral Internships and mentorship for students on a particular study that is relevant to women’s issues.
Meetings of the Commission for Women are held on the third Thursday of each month at 6 p.m.
Historic Courthouse, Mezzanine
400 Washington Avenue
Towson, Maryland 21204