Skip Navigation

Paperwork to Bring

We must be able to confirm that you qualify for help. As many of our programs have their own eligibility criteria and, thus, their own paperwork requirements, we suggest that you contact the Department of Social Services at 410-853-3000 prior to visiting. 

Here is a list of the documentation several of our programs do require that you must provide up front. 


Please bring the following items:

  • Birth Certificates for all members of the household
  • Social Security Numbers – either a Social Security card or a printout from the Social Security Office
  • Proof of Citizenship – birth certificate, United States passport, Alien Registration receipt, INS Form 1-94 or Form 551
  • Proof of Marital Status – marriage license or divorce or separation papers
  • Proof of Where You Live – please provide the following:
    • For rentals: recent rental lease, rental receipt or room and board receipt.
    • For homeowners: records such as a deed or mortgage payment record

Financial Information

Insurance Information

  • Life Insurance Policies, if any, on all members of the household
  • Proof of Health Insurance – statement that includes the company name, address, telephone number, your membership number, cost of payments and how often they are made

Proof of Income

  • Earned Income – eight consecutive paycheck stubs or statements on company letterhead that include:
    • name of the employer
    • Employee's name and Social Security number
    • Date of period worked (month, day and year)
    • Gross pay amount
    • Number of hours worked
  • Unearned Income – award letters for such income as:
    • Social Security
    • Veterans benefits
    • Railroad retirement
    • Civil service benefits
    • Workers' Compensation
    • Pensions of any kind
    • Child support and other support payments

Proof of Medical Bills

  • Proof of Medical Bills You Owe – "statement date" on the bill should be no older than three months before you applied for help at Department of Social Services
  • Proof of Medical Bills You Have Paid – bills from doctors, prescriptions and hospitals up to three months before you applied for help at Department of Social Services

Proof of Expenses

  • Proof of Resources – anything you own that has cash value, such as:
    • Houses or land
    • Cash, checking and savings accounts
    • Stocks and bonds
    • Credit unions
    • Burial agreements
    • Safety deposit boxes
    • Cars, trucks, boats and house trailers
    • Farm animals and equipment
  • Proof of Living Expenses including:
    • Gas
    • Electric
    • Water
    • Rent or mortgage
    • Taxes
    • Food
    • Telephone
  • Proof of Student Costs including:
    • Proof of all loans, grants and scholarships
    • Any expenses connected with school such as tuition, books and fees
  • Proof of Child Care Costs – please provide the following:
    • Name and address of child care provider
    • Number of payments and how often they are made
    • Signature of babysitter
Revised October 14, 2016         


A new website for Baltimore County

We're working to provide you with a better experience, and want your feedback. Learn more about our project and give your feedback.

Did This Page Help?
Fields marked with * are required.
Page Rating*