The Bureau of Plumbing and Gasfitting Inspections is a division of the Department of Permits, Approvals and Inspections and is responsible for inspecting work performed by licensed plumbers and gasfitters to ensure conformity with the plumbing and gas code. Learn more about plumbing and gasfitting code.
Other primary functions include:
- Investigating plumbing and gas related complaints
- Interacting with contractors, engineers and property owners and answering code compliance questions
- Administering plumbing exams for licensing new applicants in compliance with the Baltimore County Code Regulation
- Issuing of the following licenses:
- Master plumber-gasfitter license
- Journeyman plumber-gasfitter license
- Master gasfitter license
- Master limited plumber-gasfitter license
- On-site utility contractor license
- Journeyman gasfitter license
- Disposal system contractor license
- Water pump contractor license
- Drain and sewer cleaner license
- Master Plumber license
- Journeyman plumber license
Schedule, Reschedule or Cancel an Inspection
All plumbing and gasfitting work requires a permit and inspection. You and your contractor should coordinate your inspection requests so that they can be provided in a timely manner. Learn more about how to schedule, reschedule or cancel an inspection.
Your Area Inspector
Reference the Plumbing and Gasfitting Inspectors' District Map for the inspector assigned to your area. Use the following contact information to email your inspector:
- Eric Bell: email@example.com
- Keith Blair: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Clarence Bragg: email@example.com
- Steve Hiatt: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Karl Kehring: email@example.com
- Christopher Liberto: firstname.lastname@example.org
- David Magness: email@example.com
- Dan Peterson: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jeffrey Utz: email@example.com
Note: Email addresses are to be used only to exchange pertinent permit information with inspectors. Do not use to schedule or cancel inspections.
Learn more about plumbing permits.
Check Your Permit Status
For information or questions regarding issues related to permit status, please call 410-887-3620, Monday through Friday, between 7:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. Please do not call to schedule an inspection.
The Plumbing and Gasfitting Board advises the Director of the Department of Permits, Approvals and Inspections regarding the administration of Article 21, Title 15 of the Baltimore County Code, including licensing.
Utility licenses expire March 31 every other odd number year. Other plumbing and gas licenses expire April 30 of every other odd number year.
Baltimore County recognizes and honors insured-to-work Propane Gasfitter Certificates in addition to the following state-issued licenses:
- Well Drillers
- Pump Installers
Find licensed contractors.
The Baltimore County Plumbing Board only reciprocates plumbing and gas licenses with the following jurisdictions:
- Baltimore City (gas only)
- State of Maryland
- Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission
- Grinder Pumps: Plumbers should proceed carefully when hooking up grinder pumps. Read and understand procedures before proceeding to ensure pump is installed before hook-up
- On-site Utility Contractor
- Disposal System Contractor
- Water Pump Contractor
Examinations test for the knowledge of plumbing and gas installations and materials. The Baltimore County Plumbing Code effective as of May 1, 2013 adopted the 2012 National Standard Plumbing Code.
- Fee: $34
- Test Location:
County Office Building
111 West Chesapeake Avenue, Room G21
Towson, Maryland 21204
- Plumbing and Gasfitting Examination Applications