The following services are available to help keep residents—primarily disabled adults and senior citizens at risk for long-term care placement—in their home and community:
- Adult Evaluation and Review Services (AERS)
- Case Management
- Community First Choice (CFC) and Community Personal Assistance Services (CPAS)
- Statewide Evaluation Planning Services (STEPS)
To learn more about or enroll in any of these programs, call 410-887-2754.
AERS is a state-mandated program, which provides assistance to functionally and chronically disabled adults who are at risk of institutionalization. AERS staff conduct a comprehensive evaluation to identify home and community-based services that will meet the individual's needs, enable them to avoid institutionalization and remain as independent as possible in the least restrictive environment. Services may include:
- Evaluation of medical and psychosocial problems
- Evaluation for alternative living arrangements
- Referral and linkage to community resources (see directory below)
- Consultation with professionals and interested parties
- Coordination of services
Any resident of Baltimore County in need of a no-cost, long-term care assessment can be referred to AERS. Anyone can make this referral.
- An assessment is completed by a nurse or social worker in the patient's current location.
- An individualized plan of care is developed to address identified needs.
- Following an AERS evaluation, the individual may request assistance to obtain the services recommended in the plan of care. Case management services can be provided to those individuals requiring further assistance.
The below directory is a partial listing of resources compiled by the AERS program. This listing is for information only and should not be considered as an endorsement, recommendation or guarantee for services by the Baltimore County Department of Health.
Alice Manor Adult Day Care
Active Day of Baltimore
Active Day of Arbutus
Active Day of Parkville
Active Day of Randallstown
Active Day of Timonium
Easter Seals Adult Day Care
Friends and Family Adult Day Program
Pikesville Adult Day Services
Aronson Medical and Respiratory Services
Caring Health Products and Medical Supplies
Mid Atlantic Medical Supply
Nation's Healthcare, LLC
All About Your Health Care Services
Family and Children's Services
Phone: 410-366-5614, extension 272
Loving Care Services, Incorporated
Priority Home Care
Towson Nursing Registry
Vicenza Home Care Services, Incorporated
Visiting Angels of Pikesville
Weber Baltimore Nurses Exchange
Maryland Access Point
Phone: 410-887-2594 (Baltimore County)
Medical Assistance Waiver Services Registry
Senior Legal Hotline—Maryland Hotline
At no cost, nurses and social workers provide assessment, care plan development and the coordination/monitoring of services, which include:
- A comprehensive evaluation, including functional, medical, psychosocial, financial and environmental components
- Care plan development to help the client remain in the least restrictive environment
- Coordination and implementation of public services and follow-up depending upon eligibility and availability
Any Baltimore County resident may be referred for this program.
The CFC and CPAS programs help provide certain home and community-based services and supports, as an alternative to institutional placement, to eligible individuals who have been determined to require an institutional level of care.
Services include support-planning and assistance with simple daily tasks such as bathing, dressing, grooming and toileting. Some light household chores and other incidental tasks related to the participant’s health and safety may also be available. Services are provided in participants’ homes by licensed Residential Service Agencies and monitored by Registered Nurses from the Department.
The STEPS program consists of a comprehensive evaluations process, which includes:
- A comprehensive evaluation
- A multidisciplinary assessment, including the establishment of a plan of care (Note: The assessment is completed in whatever location the client is residing.)
- Financial eligibility screening
- Providing information and assistance regarding which available community-based services could substitute for nursing facility care
Any resident of Baltimore County in need of a long-term care assessment or considering nursing home placement is eligible for a STEPS assessment, at no cost to the client. Baltimore County is reimbursed by the State of Maryland for eligible clients.