Skip Navigation

County offices are closed on Monday, May 30, for Memorial Day. 

Frequently Asked Questions

The following answers some of the questions inmates and their families and friends may have regarding the Department’s procedures:

Finding an Inmate's Information

Calling an Inmate

Family Emergencies

Visiting an Inmate

Sending Items to an Inmate

Medical Services

Other Inmate Services

Court Information


Being Processed or Released

Q. How can I look up an inmate's name, charges, ID number, or release date?

A. The Baltimore County Department of Corrections’ website will not provide an inmate’s name, ID number, charges, or release date, nor do we give charges or release dates over the phone. However, if you want to find out if an inmate is in our facility then you can call our security desk at 410-512-3200 and press “0” to speak with an operator.  

Additionally, there are other websites that can provide information about an inmate, such as, the Maryland Judiciary where you can search court records, or the Maryland Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services which will locate an inmate in the state’s correctional facilities, or Vinelink which will provide information on inmates in the county or state.

Q. What is an Inmate ID Number or ID? Who uses these?

A. These are numbers used for identifying inmates. The numbers are assigned by the Baltimore County Police Department and used by the Baltimore County Detention Center for inmate identification.

QI am a victim of a crime, and I want to be notified when an inmate is released. What do I do?

A. You can contact the State’s Attorney’s Office at 410-512-6600 or our department’s Records Unit at 410-512-3422.

Q. How can I find out if someone is in your Detention Center or another facility?

A. Call our security desk at 410-512-3200 and press “0” to speak with an operator to see if an individual is in our facility. If he/she is not here, then you may want to access Vinelink and use their search engine or the Maryland Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services and select Inmate Locator.

Q. I am scheduled to report to the Detention Center at 6 p.m., and the judge has given me a 90-day sentence. What can I expect?

A. Upon reporting to the Detention Center lobby, you will be escorted to the Processing area. Inmates and property will be searched upon admission, personal property will be inventoried and searched for contraband; any personal property not allowed inside the housing unit will be placed in the property room and a receipt will be issued for all stored property. Inmates arriving at the facility with excess property that is not allowed are required to release the property within 30 days. Any currency, checks, etc., will be deposited in a non-interest bearing account called an escrow account, and the amount of the deposit will be recorded on the inmate’s property envelope. Inmates can purchase commissary from any money in their escrow account.

Inmates are permitted to retain the following property:

  • plain ring (wedding band type)
  • medic alert medallion or bracelet
  • legal papers
  • photographs no larger than five by seven (no Polaroid pictures)
  • eyeglasses
  • undergarments, white short-sleeve tee shirts without pockets or decals, and socks
  • non-metallic religious medallion two inches or smaller

The department will issue a uniform and the following items to inmates processed in:

  • soap
  • deodorant
  • toothbrush and toothpaste
  • toilet paper
  • cup and spoon
  • wash cloth and towel
  • two sheets
  • two blankets
  • two uniforms
  • two shorts
  • shoes
  • identification bracelet (which must be worn at all times)
  • laundry bag

Inmates will be held strictly accountable for the return of issued items, hygiene items can be kept.

After you are processed in, given an opportunity to make at least two free five-minute telephone calls, view an orientation video, and receive a medical screening, you will be escorted to a diagnostic housing unit. A Classification Unit Officer will meet with you for your initial intake and assessment for all programs and custody assignments to a housing unit. 

QWhat is the bail review process?

A. Persons who have been arrested and are committed to the Detention Center by a District Court Commissioner will have a bail review hearing before a judge on the next day the Court is in session. District Court bail reviews are conducted electronically in the Detention Center via closed circuit television at noon each business day the court is in session.

At bail review, the judge will decide whether to release the inmate pending trial and on what conditions. To assist the judge in making that decision, a Pretrial Investigator will present a report summarizing information provided by the inmate and verified by references, and his or her criminal history.

The Court has several options in deciding on release. Among the most common is setting of a bail, which is an amount of money that must be posted to the court to “secure” the defendant’s return to court. If he or she appears in court as required, the bail is refunded when the case is over. If the defendant fails to appear, the bail is forfeited and a warrant is issued for his or her arrest.

Q. My daughter is in the diagnostic unit; why can’t I see her?

A. Inmates currently housed in the diagnostic housing unit are not permitted visits until they are classified and/or assigned to another housing unit.

Q. How can I call an inmate if there is an emergency?

A. Inmates are not allowed to receive any incoming phone calls. In the event there is an emergency in the family, such as a death or severe illness or injury to a family member, a relative of the inmate should contact the Shift Supervisor at 410-512-3305. We will need the appropriate contact name and phone number to verify the information.

Q. How much money does an inmate need for phone calls and when can they make the outgoing calls?

A. Inmates do not need money to make phone calls. Telephone calls made from the housing units are collect calls only. If you do not have Verizon as your phone service carrier, you must contact IC Solutions to set up an account to receive collect calls. The telephone number to IC Solutions is: 1-888-506-8407, or you may visit IC Solutions and follow the link to Prepaid Collect Calling for more information.

In a regular housing unit, inmates are allowed to make outgoing calls from 8 a.m. until 10:45 p.m. Inmates are allotted 30 minutes per call. The system will notify inmates when they have one minute remaining and will automatically shut off after 30 minutes have elapsed.

Q. What if I do not want to receive phone calls from inmates?

A. To block calls from inmates, you must call 1-866-228-4031.

Q. How can I put money into an inmate’s commissary account?

A. Learn more about the inmate funds deposit process.

Q. How can I find out if an inmate has visiting privileges?

A. Please call our security desk at 410-512-3200 and press “0” to speak with an operator for inmate information.

Q. How many people can visit an inmate at one time?

A. A maximum of two children and two adults, or three children and one adult are permitted per visit. Review the Visitors page for more information.

Q. I am an attorney and would like to have a contact visit with my client. I am bringing my paralegal assistant and would like to bring a laptop computer to take down my client’s information. Can this be arranged?

A. Please call the Classification Supervisor at 410-512-3241 at least 48 hours in advance for special contact visit requests.

Q. How should I address mail to an inmate, and what are the guidelines in sending mail?

A. The following information must be included on the outside envelope for all inmate mail:

Inmate’s Name and Identification Number
Baltimore County Department of Corrections
720 Bosley Avenue
Towson, Maryland 21204

  • All mail must be sent via the U.S. Postal Service or other approved mail carriers.
  • Photographs (no Polaroids) and written or typed letters are accepted through the mail.
  • There is no restriction on the volume of mail an inmate may receive. However, inmates may retain only the mail that can be neatly stored in their property container. Mail that will not fit in the inmate’s property container shall be placed in excess property.
  • Books sent through the mail directly from the publisher will be accepted, inspected, and delivered to the inmate if appropriate.
  • Inmates may receive religious reading materials from the Chaplain or designee or through the mail when they are sent directly from the publisher.
  • Inmates may not engage in contracts by mail on a delayed billing basis.
  • Inmates at the Detention Center may not correspond with each other without the approval of the Director.
  • Legal mail will be opened and inspected by correctional staff in the presence of the inmate.
  • Incoming non-legal mail will be opened and inspected for contraband.
  • Incoming or outgoing mail will not be read or rejected unless there is probable cause to believe the contents are a threat to the order and security of the facility or that the mail is being used for illegal activity. The Director or designee may order the mail to be opened and inspected.
  • The following mail is prohibited and will not be accepted:
    • Items larger than 11 and one-half inches by 14 inches;
    • Packages arriving in the mail without prior approval;
    • Polaroid photographs;
    • Pages from coloring books, crossword books, activity books, etc.;
    • Magazines, newspapers, and photocopies of publications;
    • Greeting cards or cardstock of any nature;
    • Calling cards, bank cards, prepaid phone cards, money cards, identification cards, or playing cards;
    • Books that are not received directly from the publisher, i.e. bookstores or other sources;
    • Mail containing tape, stickers, watercolors, wax, crayons, correctional fluid, or other foreign substances;
    • Sexually graphic material;
    • Publications promoting violent acts, gang activities, or detailing security-threatening information, i.e., manufacturing weapons or intoxicants, organizing disturbances, etc.; and
    • Mail with incomplete information such as name, return address, etc.
  • Mail containing unauthorized items will be returned to sender in its entirety.
  • Packages not approved will be returned to sender.
  • Mail received for inmates who have been released or transferred to another jurisdiction will be returned to sender.
  • Mail privileges will be denied only if restricted by court order.

Criminal activities connected with inmate mail will be reported to the appropriate authorities. To obtain an inmate’s ID number, or if you have questions about the mail guidelines, please call our security desk at 410-512-3200 and press “0” to speak with an operator.

Q. Can I bring food, clothes, or hygiene products to an inmate?

A. The public is not permitted to bring food or hygiene products to inmates, nor can they bring clothing to non-work release inmates. A commissary service is provided to the inmates where clothing, food, and hygiene items can be purchased. Inmates wear uniforms issued by the facility, and any clothing items permitted must be purchased from the commissary vendor.

Q. If an inmate does not have any money, how can he order commissary?

A. Funds can be sent to an inmate from family or friends. Learn more about the inmate funds deposit process.

Additionally, inmates who have $2 or less in their escrow account for seven consecutive days, qualify as an indigent inmate and can request an indigent package by submitting an Inmate Request Form number 118 to the Housing Unit Officer. Upon approval, inmates may receive the following items every seven days: one toothbrush; one toothpaste; writing paper; two stamped-envelopes; one pencil; and one deodorant.

Q. My son told me that he ordered commissary, but didn't get everything that he ordered. How can this issue be resolved?

A. Inmates must check to see that they have received all ordered items in the presence of the issuing staff member at the time of delivery. Any discrepancies must be reported immediately. Inmates will sign a form acknowledging receipt of their order. The Department of Corrections is not responsible for lost or stolen items after the inmate acknowledges receipt. Any commissary discrepancies must be submitted by the inmate on an Inmate Request Form to the Commissary Manager for review and investigation.

Q. What medical services are provided to an inmate?

A. The Department of Corrections provides comprehensive medical, dental and psychiatric services for all inmates. These services and resources include:

  • Health screening and physical upon admission.
  • A contractual medical staff of over 50 full-time qualified health care professionals.
  • A medical observation unit to keep a close watch on anyone with serious medical conditions.
  • Chronic Care clinics operated by our physician and physician assistants for inmates with chronic conditions such as diabetes, aids, asthma, etc.
  • A team of psychiatrists and other mental health staff to address the mental health needs of the inmates.
  • In-house specialty clinics including: dentistry, oral surgery, optometry, x-ray services, and OB/GYN care.
  • If hospitalization or outpatient care is needed, inmates are sent to area hospitals or to specialized outpatient treatment facilities.
  • Sick Call is provided six days per week. Sick call boxes are located on every housing unit. Inmates may submit Sick Call slips when needed. They are picked up daily and medical staff will see the inmate within 24 hours. There is a $4 charge for sick call for all inmates who have money in their accounts. However, nobody is ever denied medical care because they are unable to pay. Inmates who need immediate medical care are escorted to the Medical Department by the Housing Officer, or if warranted, medical staff will report to the unit where the inmate is housed.

Q. Why can’t my son use his own medications that he brought with him to the Detention Center? Won’t this interfere with his prior treatment?

A. Medications that an inmate brings to the Detention Center are not used and are placed in his property envelope and returned upon release, because there is a full pharmacy service for the provision of all medications needed, and the department’s medical contractor will provide all medications to the inmate. Medical staff will try to obtain a list of medications from the inmate’s previous medical provider. A relative can help ensure continuation of medications when possible by having the inmate’s medical provider fax the medical information to the Medical Records Department. Their fax number is 410-823-0088.

Q. My son called and complained of needing immediate medical care. What should he do?

A. He should inform the Housing Unit Officer immediately. Inmates who need immediate medical care are escorted to the Medical Department by an officer, or if warranted, medical staff will report to the unit where the inmate is housed.

Q. Who can I contact to discuss medical issues?

A. Contact the Medical Liaison for BCDC at 410-512-3310.

Q. What happens if a family emergency arises?

A. We at the Baltimore County Department of Corrections understand that family emergencies may arise at any time. In the event of a family emergency such as death or hospitalization of a family member, please contact the Shift Supervisor at 410-512-3305. We will need the appropriate contact name and phone number to verify the information.

Q. Can inmates attend a family member’s funeral?

A. Inmates are not permitted to attend funerals unless court ordered by a judge. An inmate may be permitted to attend a private viewing if approved by the agency and the sentencing or administrative judge. For additional information please call the Classification Unit at 410-512-3241.

Q. What types of programs are offered to inmates?

A. The department offers a wide range of programs to the inmate population. Those programs are as follows:

G.E.D. Program
The Baltimore County Office of Adult Education provides G.E.D. instructors to the facility to assist inmates in completing their high school education. Additionally, state law requires the Department of Corrections to provide continuing high school education for all detainees under the age of 21 who have not yet earned a G.E.D. or High School Diploma.

Baltimore County Public Library
The Department of Corrections’ Detention Center has within its confines a branch of the Baltimore County Public Library. The library provides educational and recreational reading materials for the inmate population.

Substance Abuse Counseling
Through partnerships with both the Baltimore County Office of Substance Abuse and Gaudenzia, LLC, substance abuse services are offered at the Detention Center as well as Alcoholics and Narcotics Anonymous. This includes court assessments as well as counseling.

Religious Services
The Department of Corrections will provide religious opportunities for all denominations through volunteer religious providers.

Additional Programs
Through partnerships with other County agencies including the Health Department, Social Services, Community Colleges of Baltimore County, and several non-profit agencies, self-improvement programs are offered in anger management, healthy choices, domestic violence, job skills, and many others. Inmates can access any of the above programs by sending a #118 form to their Classification Officer.

For additional information, please call the Programs Manager at 410-512-3400.

Community Corrections Programs

  • Baltimore County Work Release Program
    An inmate sentenced to the Baltimore County Department of Corrections may participate in this program if he/she is recommended by the sentencing judge and meets the Department’s eligibility criteria. The program offers an inmate the opportunity to continue working while incarcerated, allowing financial support to be provided to his/her family. The unit remains supervised by the Department of Corrections and is supported by local community businesses.

If an inmate is recommended by the court, meets the eligibility criteria of the department, and is recommended by Classification staff, his/her name will be submitted to the Medical Unit for medical clearance. Upon receiving a medical clearance, he or she will be approved for participation and transferred to the Work Release Housing Unit.

There is one-time $25 non-refundable urine testing lab fee for inmates who will be working at outside employment. There is no urine testing lab fee for inmates who work Baltimore County work details such as MES, Highways, etc.

If an inmate is on the Work Release Program and has paid his/her lab fee, then he/she is not charged the same fee again if transferred to the Home Detention Program.

Additionally, for the Work Release Program there is a $60 weekly board fee for inmates employed outside the facility.

For additional information, please call the Work Release Unit at 410-512-3340.

  • Home Detention Program
    The Home Detention Unit started in 1988 and utilizes the most up-to-date technology to monitor the location of inmates who are qualified to serve a sentence while living at their residence. The court may recommend home detention at the time of commitment, as a condition of pretrial release, or approved participants identified by department staff as eligible. The department encourages pre-screening of inmates for Home Detention.

The Home Detention Program permits eligible inmates to be supervised in their homes as an alternative to incarceration, affording the inmate an opportunity to continue employment, provide family support, and promote community involvement.

Program Elements:

  • Intake and Orientation
    Participants approved by the court and the Department of Corrections for participation in the Home Detention Program receive orientation, including a review of program rules and regulations, and are advised of the penalties associated with violations. Department staff verifies home residence and an acceptable living situation. 

Inmates are instructed on the proper use of the monitoring equipment, and the equipment is tested to verify that it is operational. Inmates are escorted to their residence by department staff, and after a visual check of the residence for security concerns, the equipment is installed, and the transmitter (ankle sensor) is placed on the participant. Staff again reviews the proper operation of the equipment with the participant, including an explanation of all computer-generated violations.

  • Case Management
    Staff monitors program participants 24 hours per day, including monitoring of all incoming calls, adjusting schedules for approved absences from the home and violations. Employment, medical and dental treatments, counseling, etc., are all verified and documented. 

Staff conducts weekly telephone calls to the employer as well as random home and work visits to monitor compliance with program rules. Participants are also required to report to the Home Detention Office on a weekly basis to report job-related changes, and provide verification of any court-ordered treatment program and any changes in their living situation.

  • Urinalysis and Breath Testing
    Pretrial participants are required to submit to weekly urinalysis. Sentenced participants are required to submit to random and probable cause urinalysis. A Breathalyzer test can be conducted at any time. 
  • Violations
    Staff will seek an explanation for all computer-generated violations by attempting to make contact by telephoning or visiting the participant. If a participant’s whereabouts cannot be determined, the police will be contacted, a criminal report will be filed, and staff will request an escape warrant from the Court Commissioner’s Office.

Program violations such as positive urinalysis or Breathalyzer will result in an inmate’s removal from the program and the return to confinement in the detention center.  Departmental staff will handle minor rule violations administratively.

The referring Judge will be notified of all changes in custody status or escapes.

For additional information please call the Home Detention Unit at 410-512-3429.

  • Work Details
    The work details designation was implemented in 1986, expanding on the same principles of work release to include inmate work details. Qualified inmates near the end of a sentence are housed in a less restrictive environment and used for inter-agency work details. The Department of Recreation and Parks has employed some inmates after the completion of their sentence. Work detail inmates are also a major part of the Maryland Environmental Services recycle facility work force in Cockeysville.
  • Weekenders
    The Detention Center houses male and female offenders sentenced by the court to serve "weekends" usually from Friday at 6 p.m. until Sunday at 6 p.m. Occasionally the "weekend" sentence will be served on weekdays to accommodate the offender's work schedule of regular days off.

For additional information, please call the Community Corrections Unit at 410-512-3340.

Pretrial Services
Baltimore County Pretrial Services operates within the Department of Corrections. It serves both the District and Circuit Courts of Baltimore County by providing verified background information and criminal histories on defendants scheduled for bail reviews. Qualified defendants are placed on Pretrial Services supervision in lieu of bail, and conditions of release are monitored.

For additional information, please call the Classification Unit at 410-512-3241.

Alternative Sentencing Program
The Baltimore County Department of Corrections’ Alternative Sentencing Program supervises offenders who are court-ordered to one of two program components: Community Service or T.A.S.C. (Treatment Alternative to Street Crimes.) An offender can be supervised by one or both components of the Alternative Sentencing Program.

  • Community Service
    The Community Service Program provides a court-ordered means for offenders to work without compensation for a specific number of hours in a non-profit community or government agency. Its goals are to provide non-violent offenders an opportunity to make a positive contribution to the community in lieu of fines and/or incarceration.

For additional information please call the Alternative Sentencing Office at 410-512-3343.

  • T.A.S.C. (Treatment Alternatives To Street Crime)
    The T.A.S.C. (Treatment Alternatives to Street Crime) Program provides evaluation and supervision to substance abuse dependent individuals referred by the Baltimore County Circuit Court, District Court, and/or the Office of the State’s Attorney. Through treatment referral and closely supervised community reintegration, T.A.S.C. aims to permanently interrupt the cycle of addiction and encourage positive societal behaviors. Case Management occurs in our Towson office as well as in Dundalk, Essex, and Catonsville.

For additional information please call the Alternative Sentencing Office at 410-512-3343.

Q: What religious services are available?

A: The Department of Corrections will provide religious opportunities for all denominations through volunteer religious providers.

Q: How can an inmate be placed on the Work Release and/or Home Detention Program and are there any fees involved?

A. Please review the Community Corrections Program.

Q. The Court has sentenced me to the Community Service Program in Baltimore County. What can I expect?

A. You will call the Community Service Office at 410-512-3343 to make an appointment. All offenders will be seen in the Towson Office regardless of whether you were sentenced in Baltimore County or transferred from another County or State.

If you need to have your hours transferred to another jurisdiction, your Community Service Case Manager will make that determination. Since your case originated in Baltimore County, we retain custody of your case reporting any infractions directly to the court.

We have a list of private non-profit and government work sites that have agreed to our established criteria.

Where you will work and what type of work is determined by your skills, where you live, your employment and/or school schedule, and where we have openings. Work assignments are made in your community if possible; however, many times it is not. Your Community Service Case Manager has the final decision of where you will perform the hours.

If you are unemployed and/or employed part-time or are a part-time student, you will be required to work at least 16 hours per week on a regular predetermined schedule. If you are employed full-time and/or a full-time student, you will be required to work at least eight hours per week on a regular predetermined scheduled. You will set up a work schedule with your work site supervisor giving specific dates and times for each week.

If you do not adhere to the rules and regulations, you will be terminated from this program. Termination will result in you returning to court for a violation of probation or your case being returned to the State’s Attorney’s Office for prosecution. Then, you may receive one or more of the penalties you were trying to avoid.

The Community Service Program charges all offenders a non-refundable $30 dollar administrative processing fee due at the time of the interview. The fee can only be paid at the Baltimore County Detention Center's Finance Office. Only cash or money orders (made payable to Baltimore County, Maryland) are accepted.

Q. The Court ordered me to TASC. What does TASC stand for and how is it different from Parole and Probation?

A. The letters stand for Treatment Alternatives to Street Crime. It is a program unique to Baltimore County in the State of Maryland. TASC is primarily assigned by judges for drug offenders who would benefit from intensive case management services to get treatment and monitoring.

TASC is considered more intensive case management than Parole and Probation. Offenders are required to report for the entire length of their probation. There are no call-ins and completion of a treatment program is usually required. Additionally, random urinalysis testing is conducted on a regular basis.

For additional information please call the Alternative Sentencing Office at 410-512-3343.

Q. When can I bring clothes to my son for his court appearance?

A. The Detention Center does not accept court clothing for inmates who are scheduled to appear in Circuit Court.

Court clothing for inmates scheduled for District Court is accepted Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays from 7:30 to 11 a.m., and from 6:30 to 10 p.m.

  • Court clothing will be exchanged item for item.
  • Court clothing may be exchanged within one month of the inmate's scheduled court appearance. The Shift Captain may authorize additional court clothing exchanges for inmates who have multiple appearances scheduled for the same court.
  • Clothing for "sentenced" inmates may be exchanged prior to release.
  • Jackets will be accepted during the winter months for inmates incarcerated during the summer months.
  • Persons delivering court clothing must have valid identification.
  • Inmates will be required to sign for items received and released.
  • The following items will not be accepted from visitors as court clothing for inmates:
    • jeans or denim pants;
    • jean jacket or denim jacket;
    • athletic shoes;
    • garments with holes in them;
    • garments with stains on them;
    • bulky coats with filling; and
    • items that appear to have been tampered with or altered.

QWhat happens to an inmate's property when they are brought to the Baltimore County Detention Center or when they are released or transferred to another facility?

A. All accepted inmate property is securely stored within the Detention Center. Inmates may release property to anyone except other inmates. To release property, an inmate must complete and sign an Inmate Property Release Form. Property may be released during normal visiting hours while the inmate is still incarcerated.

Inmates being transferred to another facility will fill out a Property Control Transfer Form and have 30 days for someone to pick up the property before it is disposed of.

Inmates being released will receive their property as they leave the Detention Center. Inmates that have already been released have 30 days to pick up their property during normal visiting hours at the front lobby with a valid proper ID.

Inmates who had their property confiscated by the Police Department, or their property was not accepted by the Detention Center, must contact the Baltimore County Police Department Headquarters located at 700 East Joppa Road, Towson, Maryland 21286 to retrieve their property. The Property Room can be reached at 410-887-2276.

Q. How is an inmate released from the Baltimore County Detention Center?

A. Inmates may be released from the Detention Center in several different ways:

  • Time Served
    An inmate’s sentence has expired and he/she has no outstanding charges or detainers.
  • Court Release
    While at court, an inmate is released by order of the judge.
  • Bail Release
    An inmate who has a bail or fine with no other outstanding charges, warrants, sentences, or detainers may have someone pay the bail and be released.
  • Other Agencies
    An inmate is released to another agency that has lodged a detainer, charge, or warrant for that inmate.
  • DOC
    An inmate has been sentenced to the Maryland Division of Correction and is awaiting transfer there.

Inmates are released after all legal documentation has been checked and verified.

Inmates may also be provided a local bus token if they cannot pay for transportation. Inmates being sent to another agency will not receive a phone call before they leave due to security reasons.

Q. What is the process for posting bail?

A. Once an interested person determines an inmate at the Detention Center has a bail and is interested in posting it, the individual posting the bail needs to report to the Commissioner’s office located in Towson, Maryland. Directions and hours to the Commissioner's office, may be obtained by calling 410-512-2030 and following the prompts provided to receive the necessary information.

Once the interested individual has reported to the Commissioner’s office, the Commissioner will verify the information with the Detention Center.

After verification, the individual will give the bail money to the Commissioner who will in turn prepare the proper forms and a release. Once the Commissioner hands over the release to the individual, that person is responsible for bringing the release to the front lobby of the Detention Center.

After the release is received, checked and verified by the Department of Corrections, the release process is allowed to continue, provided the inmate has no other outstanding cases or detainers. This process can take from 20 minutes to an hour or more for the person to be released from custody. It is the department’s goal to expedite the process accurately, safely, and quickly as possible, but some delays are inevitable.

Interested parties may contact the facility at 410-512-3200 and press “0” to speak to with an operator to inquire if a bail has been received; however, the facility will not know if a bail has been posted until the Bail Release document is received at the front lobby.

Q. How can I get proof of my former incarceration at the Baltimore County Detention Center?

A. You can obtain this verification form at the Detention Center. Additionally, other individuals, on behalf of an incarcerated inmate, may obtain this verification form too.

In order to obtain an Incarceration Verification Form, former inmates must report to the Baltimore County Department of Corrections in person. With them they must bring their temporary Baltimore County Department of Corrections issued ID (these are only valid for 15 days from the issue date), or a valid photo ID issued by a government or state agency, and provide their current address and telephone number. The information will be reviewed and verified and then the pertinent document will be generated and given to the former inmate.

For inmates who are incarcerated, they may have an individual retrieve this information. That person will complete a waiver form, and the waiver will be taken to the inmate for his/her signature and approval. If the inmate denies the request, it will not be granted. The person requesting the information on an inmate’s behalf must also provide a valid photo ID issued by a government or state agency and provide a current address and telephone number.

Photo IDs will be accepted or denied at the discretion of the facility.

Q. Is smoking allowed anywhere on the Baltimore County Detention Center grounds or inside the facility?

A. No. Smoking is not allowed anywhere on the Baltimore County Detention Center grounds, parking garage or inside the facility.

Contact Us

Department of Corrections

720 Bosley Avenue
Towson, Maryland 21204


Monday through Friday
8 a.m. to 4 p.m.



Gail M. Watts

A new website for Baltimore County

We're working to provide you with a better experience, and want your feedback. Learn more about our project and give your feedback.