Skip Navigation

Disabled Veteran and Surviving Spouse Property Tax Exemption or Refund

As defined in Section 11-2-106 of the Baltimore County Code, this law is designed to exempt the home of a disabled veteran or surviving spouse of a disabled veteran from all Baltimore County real property tax obligations.

The law also provides that a disabled veteran or surviving spouse of a disabled veteran may be eligible for a refund of taxes paid for up to three years prior to receiving the exemption.

Apply for an Exemption

Obtain an application for exemption (PDF) from the State Department of Assessments and Taxation (SDAT) and file it with that agency. For more information, contact SDAT by calling 410-512-4900.

Apply for a Refund

To secure a refund you must file for and receive an exemption from SDAT, as described above. Then, submit a copy of the approved exemption to the Baltimore County Council along with a letter requesting that a refund be awarded.

Send your refund request to:
Baltimore County Council
400 Washington Avenue, Room 205
Towson, Maryland 21204


A person who receives this tax relief may not be awarded relief under the Blind Individual or Surviving Spouse Tax Exemption.

Revised September 5, 2018         


A new website for Baltimore County

We're working to provide you with a better experience, and want your feedback. Learn more about our project and give your feedback.

Did This Page Help?
Fields marked with * are required.
Page Rating*