July 14, 2020 Baltimore County
County to Provide $3 Million in Reimbursement Funding for Improvements, Furniture, Fixtures and Equipment to Help Service Sector Businesses Protect Health of Employees and Patrons
In the latest effort to support Baltimore County's small businesses, County Executive Johnny Olszewski today announced the Small Business COVID-19 Reimbursement Grant Program, a $3 million grant fund to reimburse service industry businesses for investments in critical improvements to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 and protect the health of employees and patrons.
"Baltimore County's service industry is a critical link of our local economy and we must do whatever we can to be a strong partner in their recovery," said County Executive Olszewski. "These establishments have had to quickly adapt to new ways of doing business and we're proud to offer these new funds to help support their efforts to keep visitors and employees safe."
Through the program, the County will offer grants of up to $10,000 to reimburse Baltimore County-based service industry businesses that had to limit or cease indoor operations as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic for investments in capital improvements or the purchase of furniture, fixtures and equipment to protect employees and patrons.
About the Program
Examples of items eligible for reimbursement under the COVID-19 Reimbursement Grant Program include:
- Capital improvements, such as Plexiglas shields, carryout window installation, and handwashing stations;
- Outdoor tents, and other outdoor equipment;
- Additional or new furniture or fixtures necessary to safely serve customers;
- Services necessary to open and operate safely, such as cleaning and disinfecting services, and
- Equipment and signage to help ensure customers and employees can observe safety requirements.
Establishment operators will be required to provide paid invoices, receipts and contracts as well as describe how these improvements will promote safety and public health.
Beginning tomorrow, Wednesday, July 15, 2020 at 9 a.m., grant applications will be posted online and funds will be available on a first-come, first-served basis.
To qualify for this grant program, establishments must:
- Be a for-profit enterprise,
- Be registered and in good standing with the State of Maryland, if required by law,
- Have been in operation as of January 1, 2020,
- Not be in default on any loans from Baltimore County or delinquent on County taxes, and
- Have between two and 25 full-time employees per Baltimore County establishment. Establishments may have more than 25 part-time employees.
Support for Small Businesses and Individuals
This is the latest effort from Baltimore County to support small businesses and individuals impacted by the severe financial pressures caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Previously, Baltimore County made millions in grant funding available for small businesses through the Small Business Relief Grants Program, offered $200,000 to assist professional artists, musicians and performers, and provided millions in rental assistance to households at risk of losing their current housing.
For more information about the COVID-19 Reimbursement Grant Program, please visit the Small Business Reimbursement Grant Program page or email COVIDbizrelief@baltimorecountymd.gov.