Established as a part of the County government in 1976, the Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC) approves the inclusion of historic properties along with their Historic Environmental Settings (HES) on the Preliminary Landmarks List and the formation of County historic districts. The LPC also approves exterior alterations affecting any structures on the Preliminary or Final Baltimore County Landmarks List and all developments including exterior alterations, within County historic districts. Learn more about Baltimore County and National Historic Properties and Districts.
Rules of Procedure
The Commission operates under the authority, standards, and requirements of Title 7 of Article 32 in Baltimore County law, and uses, for guidance in its decision-making, the Rules of Procedure, Historic Guidelines and Regulations and Resolutions as follows:
- Rules of Procedure (PDF)
- Historic Guidelines and Regulations (PDF)
- Resolution for Recognition and Protection of Sites Related to Slavery (PDF)
- Resolution Adopting Procedures for Delineating Historic Environmental Settings (PDF)
- Resolution Endorsing Protection of the North Point Battlefield (PDF)
- Resolution Establishing Procedures and Principles on Requests for Postponement of Items (PDF)
- Resolution Establishing Procedures for the Receipt and Scheduling of Landmark List Nominations (PDF)
- Resolution Adopting Procedures for Implementing Approval of County Tax Credit Applications (PDF)
The LPC has further agreed to operate by procedures as follows:
- Notice of Procedures for Testifying before the Landmarks Preservation Commission (PDF)
- Consent Agenda Notice (PDF)
The LPC usually meets at 6 p.m. on the second Thursday of each month, excluding August and December.
Applications for projects located in County Historic Districts, or for structures on the Preliminary or Final Landmarks List, must be submitted with all required materials at least two weeks before the meeting.
Subscribe to receive email notifications when the latest Landmarks Preservation Commission meeting documents have been posted.
Inclement Weather Policy
This policy will be implemented for the foreseeable future and will follow the actions of the County offices.
No meetings will be held when County offices are closed for the day, meetings will proceed as scheduled if County offices are under liberal leave status. For questions regarding the cancellation of a meeting, contact the Department of Planning, Preservation Services by calling 410-887-3495.
To view upcoming meeting details and documents, select from the list below.