UPDATE (June 9, 2017 4:05 p.m.):

Police have identified the four officers involved in the shooting of the armed robbery suspect:

  • Police Officer First Class Carver of Precinct 12 is a 5.5-year veteran of the force.
  • Police Officer First Class Leary of Precinct 12 is a 3.5-year veteran of the force.
  • Police Officer First Class Minton of Precinct 12 is a 14.5-year veteran of the force.
  • The fourth officer is a 17-year veteran of the force whose name will be withheld due to the officer's duty assignment.

None of the officers involved have any prior combat shooting involvement.

UPDATE (June 8, 2017, 5:15 p.m.):

The officer shot in yesterday's police-involved shooting in Dundalk is Officer First Class Slocum, assigned to Precinct 12-Dundalk. She is a 13-year veteran of BCoPD. She remains hospitalized in serious condition.

UPDATE (June 8, 2017 12:23 p.m.):

Police have identified the deceased suspect in yesterday's police-involved shooting in Dundalk as Blaine Robert Erb, 35, of no fixed address. Erb was shot by police after he began firing at officers investigating an armed robbery.

The wounded officer, assigned to Precinct 12-Dundalk, was shot twice in a lower extremity during the incident and remains hospitalized in serious condition at R. Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center.

A 21-year-old female civilian from the 5000 block of Queensberry Avenue, 21215 also suffered a gunshot wound to the lower body during the incident and is expected to survive her injury.

Two .40 caliber semi-automatic handguns were located next to the suspect's body, as well as numerous gun magazines and ammunition. Detectives have determined that the firearms have not been reported stolen but continue to investigate to identify the last known registered owner. Erb is prohibited from owning or possessing firearms due to a prior conviction for an armed robbery. The investigation has determined that Erb had a lengthy criminal history in Maryland and neighboring states, including charges for robbery, weapon violations, assault and theft. He also had an open warrant through Pennsylvania.

Detectives have identified five civilians who were on the bus when the incident began, but continue to investigate to determine if there were more.

The investigation has determined that four officers fired rounds at the suspect from their service weapons. Those officers have been placed on routine administrative leave and their names will not be released at this time.

While it has been determined that at least one officer was wearing a body-worn camera at the time of the incident, all visual and audio recordings remain part of the ongoing investigation and will not be released at this time.

Original Release (June 7, 2017 6:08 p.m.):

An officer and a civilian are in serious condition, and the suspect dead, after an officer-involved shooting following an armed robbery this afternoon in Dundalk.

Investigation has revealed that officers were dispatched at 2:49 p.m. to Dundalk Avenue and Avon Beach Road for an armed street robbery in progress. Officers had received information that a single male suspect approached and robbed two people at gunpoint. Police arriving on the scene were updated with information that the suspect fled the scene onto an Maryland Transit Administration bus. Police located the bus a short distance from the Logan Village Shopping Center in the 3400 block of Dundalk Avenue and initiated an investigative traffic stop.

When officers attempted to confront the suspect on the bus, he began shooting at the officers, firing repeatedly at them. The officers returned fire. After exchanging gunfire for an extended period, the suspect—who has not yet been identified—attempted to flee the MTA bus. He collapsed a short distance from the bus, suffering at least one gunshot wound, where he was pronounced deceased.

During the exchange of gunfire, one officer and one civilian each suffered at least one gunshot wound. The officer was taken to R. Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center, where she is listed in serious condition. The civilian, a woman, was transported to an area hospital and is expected to survive.

Body camera footage of this incident is part of the ongoing investigation. The MTA bus was equipped with working surveillance cameras. Any footage captured from these cameras will be part of the investigation.