Original release (March 20, 2016  2:54 p.m.):

It is with great sadness that the Baltimore County Police Department announces the passing of one of its former Chiefs. Ellison W. Ensor led the Baltimore County Police Department from 1967 until his retirement in 1975. He passed away on Friday.

Five years after graduating from Towson High School, Ellison Ensor joined the Baltimore County Police Bureau in August of 1941 and embarked on a career in law enforcement that would last more than 30 years.

In March of 1947, Ensor was promoted to the rank of Corporal and assigned to the Cockeysville Precinct. Later that year, he was promoted to Sergeant and assigned to the Towson Precinct. In June of 1952, he was promoted to Lieutenant and worked the central area of Baltimore County.

Ensor assumed his first command assignment in November 1956 when he became the Captain of the Essex Precinct. Less than a year later, he was promoted to the rank of Inspector (No longer a rank within the department) and oversaw patrol functions in Baltimore County. In March 1961, he became a Chief Inspector (No longer a rank within the department) and assumed command over the patrol, detective, and traffic divisions.

On March 11, 1967 Ellison Ensor became the Baltimore County Police Chief. His new duties included oversight of Civil Defense and Jail Bureaus.

Ensor’s successful law enforcement career drew the attention of Maryland Governor Marvin Mandel who appointed him to two terms of three years on the Maryland Police Training Commission. He also served on the Governor’s Commission on Law Enforcement and the Administration of Justice. In addition, he was a 1965 graduate of the FBI National Academy and a member of the International Association of Chiefs of Police as well as the Maryland Chiefs of Police.

Ensor retired from the department in September of 1975 after 34 years of service.

Ellison Ensor passed away on Friday at the age of 98.

A viewing will be held on Monday at Rucks Funeral Home in Towson and Funeral Services will be held at Saint John The Evangelist Church in Hydes on Tuesday.

The family requests that in lieu of flowers, donations be sent to either Gilchrest Hospice or to the Police Assistance and Relief Fund.

Pictures courtesy of the Ensor family.