Skip Navigation

Fort Garrison

Fort Garrison.

Community Office: Pikesville

6 Garrison Farms Court
Pikesville, Maryland 21208
Directions

About

The Royal Governor, Sir Francis Nicholson, commissioned construction of this frontier "garrison" in 1693. It was built to guard the western expansion and trading routes in Maryland, with two-foot thick walls, internal fireplace and fireproof roof to protect from flaming arrows.

The fort was utilized by mounted rangers at the end of the 17th century and in 1755 during the French and Indian War. Soldiers were placed to patrol, interact with settlers, and promulgate religious knowledge and values in the area.

By 1798, it was in private ownership, and recent archaeological analysis has proven that it was used as quarters for slaves. A second story and new roof were added during the 19th century.

Following a successful "Save the Fort" campaign undertaken by community members and civic and historical groups, Fort Garrison and its .341-acre site became property of Baltimore County in 1965. Renovations secured through private donation funds and a grant from the Maryland Historic Trust took place in the 1970s, and more recent, large-scale renovations have ensured its structural stability.

 
Revised August 4, 2016         

 

Did This Page Help?
Fields marked with * are required.
Page Rating*