Michael E. Field, County Attorney
400 Washington Avenue
Towson, Maryland, 21204
The Baltimore County Office of Law provides legal advice to the County in all civil matters and represents the County Executive, County Council, County Administrative Officer, and all offices, departments, boards, commissions and other administrative agencies of the County. The Office of Law also provides representation for the County's Board of Education and Community Colleges and provides staff support to the Ethics Commission.
Responsibilities of the Office Of Law
The scope of services provided through the Office of Law, include:
- Handling all litigation brought by or against the County and its employees.
- Handling all transactional matters and requests for advice arising from County agencies and officials.
- Providing representation before the County's administrative agencies, in connection with development and zoning matters, personnel disciplinary appeals, code enforcement actions, and retirement system appeals.
- Handling all workers compensation claims for the County, the Board of Education and the Community Colleges.
- Handling the prosecution of the County's collection claims, code enforcement cases, forfeiture cases, tax sale litigation, condemnation and the defense of personal injury and property damages claims, employment litigation, civil rights actions, and all other challenges to governmental action.
- Handling the negotiation and administration of approximately 180 County leases, the review and approval of over 1,800 contractual documents per year, and the preparation of approximately 300 pieces of legislation for County Council action annually.
- Maintaining the County law library, preparing and updating the County Journal as well as indexing, codifying and publishing the legislation adopted by the County Council.
Revised June 9, 2014