Today the Baltimore County Fire Department held an official dedication ceremony for the new Towson Fire Station #1, located at 204 Courtland Avenue.
County Executive Kevin Kamenetz and Fire Chief John J. Hohman, along with community leaders and key project participants, were in attendance to commemorate this landmark achievement.
“It’s a great day for the people of Towson and all of Baltimore County as we officially dedicate this attractive, modern fire station,” said Kamenetz. “The best part is, this new station was built at no expense to taxpayers, as a result of the sale of the old station at York and Bosley.”
This $7.6 million facility is 19,700 square feet and equipped with state-of-the-art technologies to improve energy usage and better serve the community. The entire cost of the new building was covered by the sale of the County property at York Road and Bosley Avenue that formerly housed Station 1.
The building has been awarded the prestigious LEED Certification (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) for meeting strict environmental standards in construction and functionality.
Highlights of the “green” construction include low-flow plumbing fixtures to reduce potable water consumption by up to 56 percent, mechanical systems estimated to reduce energy costs by 21 percent, and vegetation trays on the roof to reduce the cooling load and heat island effect.
In addition to these design innovations, Baltimore County focused on environmentally conscious sourcing of building materials. Around 24 percent of the materials used were extracted or manufactured within 500 miles and all the wood products in the building are certified by the Forest Stewardship Council.
The opening of this new facility is the latest chapter in the Towson station’s long history, which dates back to the beginnings of the Baltimore County Fire Department. The first Station 1 (1879-1955) was located at the intersection of Joppa, Dulaney Valley, and York Roads and the second (1955-2015) was located at York Road and Bosley Avenue.