Skip Navigation

Baltimore County iWatch Logo

Police and Fire News


Baltimore County Police and Fire News

Official News Blog of Baltimore County police, fire, homeland security and emergency management. Call 911 to report crimes in progress and emergencies.
Keyword: shot

UPDATE (September 10  1:07 p.m.):

Christopher Swayer-Schweigman was released on September 5 on $100,000 bail.

He was taken into custody this morning by personnel from the Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services on a parole retake warrant (unrelated case). He is currently being held in the Maryland Reception Diagnostics and Classification Center in Baltimore.

UPDATE (September 5  10:29 a.m.):

Baltimore County Police have identified the suspect charged in connection with the incident at Dulaney High School yesterday where two students were struck by pellets from a BB gun.

Christopher A Swayer-Schweigman (25) of the Unit block of Breezy Tree Court 21093 is charged with first-degree assault, second-degree assault, and reckless endangerment. He is being held at the Baltimore County Detention Center on $100,000 bail.

Police were called to Dulaney High School in the 200 block of East Padonia Road 21093 just after 3 p.m. yesterday for a report of a shooting with a BB rifle. When they arrived on the scene, they were told that shots were being fired at athletes as they ran around a field at the school.

Officers found that two tenth grade students had been struck by the pellets. Those students were released to the custody of their parents who later took them to a local hospital for treatment.

Police were able to identify Swayer-Schweigman as the person responsible for the incident and took him into custody. The investigation indicated that he had been shooting a BB gun from a window of his upper floor apartment.

Detectives served a search and seizure warrant on Swayer-Schweigman’s apartment and recovered a BB rifle.

This incident remains under investigation by the Cockeysville/Precinct 7 Investigative Services Team.

Booking Photograph for Christopher A Swayer-Schweigman

UPDATE (September 4  7:22 p.m.):

Baltimore County Police have taken a suspect into custody in connection with this incident. The investigation is still active and the suspect is not expected to be officially charged until late tonight or tomorrow morning.

Investigators believe that there is no danger to the community.

Original release (September 4  5:15 p.m.):

Two tenth grade students -- a boy and a girl -- were struck by pellets from a BB gun this afternoon while they were running cross country on a football field behind Dulaney High School in Precinct 7/Cockeysville.

Both suffered minor injuries that did not require treatment by Baltimore County EMS providers. The students were released to the custody of their parents.

The incident, which occurred at about 3 p.m., is under investigation by the Cockeysville Precinct's Investigative Services Team.

Baltimore County Police have identified the December 26 homicide victim as Aaron Phillip Nedd, 28, of the 8700 block of Loch Bend Drive, 21234. Investigation determined that two men came to Mr. Nedd's apartment to purchase marijuana. During the purchase, the men became involved in a fight. During the fight, one of the suspects shot Nedd multiple times to the victim's upper body. The suspects fled after the shooting. Mr. Nedd was pronounced deceased at the scene by Baltimore County Fire personnel, just before 11:30 p.m.

Police continued their investigation and were able to identify the two suspects involved in the homicide. The suspects have been identified as Perentz Darond Anderson, 30, of the 5700 block of Edgepark Road, 21239 and Mark Eugene Garland, 26, of the 5700 block of Edgepark Road, 21239. Anderson and Garland have each been charged with first-degree murder and are being held without bail.

Booking photos of suspects Perentz Darond Anderson and Mark Eugene Garland are posted below.

Booking photo of Perentz Darond Anderson

Booking photo of Perentz Darond Anderson, charged in Parkville homicide.















Booking photo of Mark Eugene Garland

Booking photo of Mark Eugene Garland, charged in Parkville homicide.

Detectives from Baltimore County Police and the New York Police Department last night briefly interviewed the Owings Mills woman shot Saturday by the man who killed two NYPD officers later the same day. She confirmed that during their altercation the suspect gave no indication that he intended to commit violence against police officers.

The victim, Shaneka Nicole Thompson, 29, of the 10000 block of Mill Run Circle, 21117, remains hospitalized in critical condition at a local medical facility. She is expected to recover from a gunshot wound to the abdomen.

One Baltimore County and two New York detectives spoke to Thompson for less than an hour Sunday evening.

Thompson told detectives that Ismaaiyl Abdula Brinsley, 28, who is not from Maryland and whose current address is unknown, unexpectedly showed up at her door at about 5:25 a.m. Saturday. The two had been involved in a romantic relationship. The shooting, Thompson said, was preceded by a domestic dispute over the status of their relationship.

Contrary to unofficial reports, Brinsley did not have a key to Thompson’s apartment. He somehow gained entrance to the lobby of the secured building and knocked on her door, which she opened.

At no time during the argument did Brinsley say he was planning to commit violence against police, Thompson said. Brinsley did not talk about police at all during the argument, she said.

(Thompson’s family has asked for privacy and that media refrain from seeking interviews with them.)


BCoPD provides the following timeline of relevant events leading up to the fatal shooting of two NYPD officers Saturday afternoon:

  • 5:51 a.m., Baltimore County Police are dispatched to the 10000 block of Mill Run Circle for a report of a shooting. Officers find the victim, suffering from a gunshot wound to the abdomen, on the third floor of the apartment building. The victim, Thompson, provides the suspect’s name – Ismaaiyl Brinsley – and description. Police quickly learn that he stole her cell phone. Police immediately broadcast information about the suspect to the local law enforcement community. Police do not know what mode of transportation the suspect used to flee.
  • 6:32 a.m., BCoPD begins tracking the victim’s cell phone because of an emergent situation involving a violent suspect.
  • 7:46 a.m., signals from the phone show a general location along I-95, near the Susquehanna River. BCoPD notifies the JFK barracks of the Maryland State Police.
  • Approximately 8:30 to 10:30 a.m., BCoPD track the phone north through New Jersey.
  • 10:24 a.m., BCoPD track the phone to the Lincoln Tunnel.
  • 1:30 p.m., BCoPD detectives learn from the victim’s family and friends for the first time of Instagram posts by Brinsley containing overt threats against police. BCoPD quickly located the posts, which indicate that the phone is in Brooklyn, NY.
  • About 1:45 p.m., BCoPD prepare a “wanted” flyer for distribution to relevant law enforcement agencies – specifically, NYPD.
  • 2:10 p.m., a BCoPD detective from the Violent Crimes Unit telephones NYPD’s 60th Precinct in Brooklyn to advise that a suspect wanted for a shooting that morning might be in New York and has posted threats against police. The BCoPD detective was directed to another Brooklyn precinct, the 70th Precinct, because the phone most recently had been tracked to that precinct.

The BCoPD detective spoke with a NYPD officer for about 30 minutes, providing all known details about the situation. During the phone call, the NYPD officer viewed the Instagram posts, which included photos of Brinsley.

NYPD asked BCoPD to send the “wanted” flyer – which contained the same photos shown on the Instagram posts – to the precinct fax machine. BCoPD scanned the flyer and sent it to NYPD, as requested.

NYPD also asks BCoPD to send a teletype with all relevant information to NYPD’s Real Time Crime Center, a data warehouse.

  • 2:46 p.m., BCoPD sends the “wanted” flyer. (In earlier posts, we reported that the flyer was sent at 2:10 p.m.; in fact, the flyer was sent after the conclusion of the phone conversation with NYPD that included viewing of the Instagram posts.)
  • 2:49 p.m., BCoPD sends the teletype to NYPD’s Real Time Crime Center.
  • 3 p.m., BCoPD receives a phone call from the 70th Precinct in New York advising that two NYPD officers were shot at 2:48 p.m. in another Brooklyn precinct.

The investigation has determined that Brinsley discarded the victim’s cell phone before the fatal shooting, leaving it several miles from where the two police officers were shot.

Ongoing Investigation

The investigations of the Owings Mills shooting and the murders of the NYPD officers remain active and ongoing. The police report from the Owings Mills shooting will not be released until the conclusion of these investigations.

BCoPD detectives have determined that Brinsley acted alone; there are no associates involved with the Owings Mills shooting.

There is no indication of any prior criminal activity by Brinsley in Maryland, nor is there any confirmation of gang affiliation. Police are confident Brinsley has no ties to the Baltimore area except Thompson.

Revised September 27, 2016