Baltimore County News
Enjoy Baltimore County's Month-long Dance Celebration
Come and meet those dancing feet! About 2,500 dancing feet will be taking to stages and studios during the third annual Take a Leap Baltimore County Dance Celebration, a month of world-class dance performances, free dance class, meet the artists, and more. The celebration kicks off February 4 and runs through March 6.
Here are some highlights, from ballroom dancing in Towson to contra dancing in Pikesville, ballet in Owings Mills to modern dance in Catonsville:
- Internationally acclaimed ZviDance from New York presents Dabke, innovative modern dance inspired by traditional Middle Eastern music and dance. (February 20, Gordon Center for Performing Arts)
- The Baltimore Dance Invitational showcases original works by professional dance companies from the Baltimore region. (February 21, Gordon Center for Performing Arts)
- Baltimore Dance Project presents a melding of interactive media and modern dance. (February 4-6, UMBC)
- A contra dance extravaganza with live music by the Sligo Creek Stompers is hosted by the Baltimore Folk Music Society. (February 13, St. Marks on the Hill, Pikesville)
- Free ballroom and Latin dance classes for all ages at the Atlantic Ballroom in Towson. (February 20)
- Alice in Wonderland by the Ballet Theatre of Maryland. (February 28, Gordon Center for Performing Arts)
- Meet the Artist receptions and master classes with international choreographer/dancers Michou Szabo, February 10 and 13, and Gabrielle Lamb, February 27-March 5, hosted by Goucher College dance.
- Dance on Bones, a mixed media performance at Towson University, March 4-6.
- Dancers Among Us, an exhibit of work by photographer Jordan Matter, February 2 – March 31 at the Gordon Center for Performing Arts Gallery.
Bring Your Feet to Free Classes
Bring your feet to the dance floor Sunday, February 21 for 14 free dance classes and demonstrations at Towson University and the JCC in Owings Mills. People of all ages and experience can stop by and try out styles from hip hop to West African and modern dance from Towson University Community Dance.
Take a leap with the Baltimore County Dance Celebration - your dancing feet are just itching to get moving! Click here for the complete calendar and ticket information.
Take a Leap is presented by the Baltimore County Commission on Arts & Sciences in partnership with the Gordon Center for Performing Arts in Owings Mills and Baltimore County’s dance community.
Director, Baltimore County Arts & Sciences Commission