Baltimore County Now
Baltimore County Office of Communications
Deck your kitchen cupboards with fresh, local Baltimore County ingredients. How many County-made foods can you include on your table? It’s a great way to try something new and support our local companies. Here are some serving suggestions.
- Fresh bison from Gunpowder Bison and Trading Company
- Wine from Boordy, Basignani, Woodhall, DeJon, and Royal Rabbit
- Custom blended coffees and teas from Baltimore Coffee and Tea
- Spices and flavorings from McCormick
- Cider and mead from Millstone Cellars
- Organic milk, yogurt and ice cream from Prigel Family Creamery
- Fresh turkey from Farmer Tom’s Farm Fresh
- True Lime and True Lemon from Grand Brands
- Bread from Schmidt Baking Company
- Black angus beef from Roseda Farm
- Handmade chocolates from Kirchmayr and Glarus Chocolatier
- Beer from Heavy Seas and DuClaw Brewing Company
- Salad dressings and marinades from Tessemae’s
- Homemade jams from Atwater’s
- Artisan cheeses from Charlottetown Farm
Need something to recover after the holidays? Try Medifast!
by Chris McCollum
Executive Director, Baltimore County Center for Maryland Agriculture
There’s nothing like the taste of fresh berries. I don’t mean the strawberries and blueberries you can buy in January at the supermarket. I’m talking about the berries that left the patch a few hours ago. When I say “no sugar added,” I really mean “no sugar necessary.”
That’s the difference when you buy fresh seasonal fruit, vegetables, meats and dairy products at your local farmers market. In Baltimore County, we’re lucky to have 15 farmers markets selling healthy foods that come straight from Baltimore County farms.
Berries, squash and beans are in season now. Treat yourself to a bunch of locally grown flowers, bring home some organic herbs, or try a free range chicken or low-fat bison for the grill. (Yes, bison really do roam in Baltimore County at Gunpowder Bison & Trading Co. in Monkton and at Morris Meadows in Freeland.)
Visit your community farmers market. It’s a whole new taste of fresh. Plus, you’ll be supporting our local farmers. Click here to find the farmers market closest to you.