Baltimore County News
A Flagship Site for Heritage Tourism
Today, at Hampton National Historic Site, located at 535 Hampton Lane in Towson, Baltimore County Executive Kevin Kamenetz joined County Councilman David Marks, National Park Service Deputy Regional Director Gay Vietzke, National Park Service Superintendent Tina Cappetta and other VIPs to officially open the new $2 million visitor contact station.
The 2,400 square foot visitor contact station will provide orientation to the visiting public about the park and surrounding historic sites in Baltimore County. The project was supported with funds from the federal SAFETEA-LU grant program and matched with funds from Baltimore County Government and Historic Hampton, Inc. (HHI).
The grand opening, planned during National Park Week (April 19 to 25), also celebrated the completion of a 4,400 square foot collection storage building, a new entrance road and a new parking lot. Collectively, the four major projects represented a capital investment of federal, state, local and non-profit funds totaling over $6.5 million.
“Hampton is the only national historic site in our County, and as such is the flagship site for heritage tourism in our community,” said Kamenetz. “Once the largest house in the United States, the Hampton Mansion provides visitors with an insight into the lives of the early Americans who lived here, ranging from slaves to industrial and agricultural workers to the former owners of these lands. This treasure has survived to this day as a National Historic Site thanks to the hard work and dedication of many, including some people standing here today.”
All events at Hampton are free and open to the public. Call 410-823-1309 extension 251, or visit www.nps.gov/hamp for more information.
Revised April 6, 2016