Baltimore County News
Baltimore County Restaurant Week Extended
The recent blizzard didn’t just bring three feet of snow our way, it also brought a whole extra week to enjoy the “meals and deals” of Baltimore County Winter Restaurant Week! Shake off that case of cabin fever by getting out of the house to enjoy a fantastic meal that someone else has to prepare and clean up.
A majority of participating restaurants have chosen to extend their special fixed priced menus through February 6th, giving you extra time to explore and enjoy what Baltimore County’s wonderful restaurants have to offer. Diners can discover new restaurants and enjoy old favorites at a discounted price, with one to three course lunch and dinner specials ranging from $15 to $35. With over thirty-five restaurants extending their deals, there is sure to be something for every taste and occasion.
Please visit baltimorecountyrestaurantweek.com to view a list of participating restaurants, peruse menus, and make reservations. Try that fancy place you’ve heard such great things about, or frequent your favorite local hotspot. Either way it’s a delicious time to dine in Baltimore County!
Events and Outings for All
The weather outside may be getting a bit “frightful,” but the County’s parks are delightful in every season.
Sure, you’ll need to bundle up and instead of the water bottle you can take a thermos of hot chocolate, your camera, warm jacket, socks and boots, hat, scarf and see the sights! Imagine the sounds of the wind blowing through the forest, the rustle of leaves as you walk those same trails you love in the warm weather.
And, the fine folks at Baltimore County’s Department of Recreation and Parks, and all of our essential volunteers (“helpful elves” if you will) are eager to have a part in making your season bright, warm and filled with memories that will last well beyond the decorations and food.
Holiday Events Galore!
Your friends at Recreation and Parks and our many recreation and nature councils have lots of seasonal events that are sure to keep you in the spirit of the season in your eyes, in your bellies and in your heart, here are just a few…
Want to meet the “Big Guy?” Yep, SANTA’s making the rounds this December, and let us tell you, that guy really gets around:
- At Battle Grove Elementary on December 12, from 9 to 11 a.m. Sponsored by North Point Village Recreation Council (410-887-7180)
- At Bear Creek Elementary on December 12, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sponsored by Bear Creek Recreation Council (410-887-7529 for details and reservations)
- At Turner Station Recreation Council’s Christmas Celebration at Sollers Point Multi-Purpose Center on December 12, between noon and 4 p.m. (410-887-7134)
- Watersedge Recreation Council is having their Christmas event on December 13, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., at Watersedge Community Center (410-887-7134)
- Tuesday, December 8, West Inverness Recreation Council is sponsoring their Christmas event at the Inverness Center from 6:30 to 8 p.m. (410-887-7134)
Christmas Tree Sales – All for a Good Cause
- Hannah More Park in Reisterstown – on sale through December 24 (410-887-1142)
- TALMAR Gardens and Horticultural Therapy Center; inside the Sherwood entrance of Cromwell Valley Park. (410-825-2020)
- Mini Christmas Tree – Wednesday, December 9, 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., at Holt Center (410-887-5307)
- Natural Ornaments – Saturday, December 12, noon to 3 p.m., at Benjamin Banneker Historical Park and Museum (410-887-1081)
- Holiday Centerpieces – Saturday, December 12, 1 to 2:30 p.m., at Cromwell Valley Park (410-887-2503)
- Log Cabin Christmas – Sunday, December 13, noon to 3 p.m., at Holt Center (410-887-5307)
- Natural Ornament Making – Saturday and Sunday, December 12 and 13, at Oregon Ridge Nature Center (410-887-1815)
- Wreaths and Natural Ornaments – Saturday and Sunday, December 12 and 13, noon to 4 p.m., at Marshy Point Nature Center (410-887-2817)
- Short Days Candle Making – Saturday, December 19, 1 to 2:30 p.m., at Marshy Point Nature Center (410-887-2817)
- Solstice Candle Making – Sunday, December 20, 1 to 3 p.m., at Willow Grove Nature Center (410-887-2503)
- Make Signature Wrapping Paper and Giant Ribbons – Tuesday, December 15, 4:30 to 5:30 p.m., Holt Center (410-887-5307)
- Gingerbread Houses for You and the Birds – Saturday and Sunday, December 19 and 20, 1 to 3 p.m., at Oregon Ridge Nature Center (410-887-1815)
Some Very Special Events
- Holiday Craft Show, Saturday, December 12, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., at General John Stricker Middle School sponsored by Gray Charles Recreation Council (410-887-7180)
- Holiday Craft Show, Saturday, December 12, 9 a.m. to noon, inside Battle Grove Elementary School. Sponsored by North Point Village Recreation Council (410-887-7180)
- Holiday Basket BINGO, Saturday, December 12, 7 to 9 p.m., inside Battle Grove Elementary School sponsored by North Point Village Recreation Council (410-887-7180)
- 38th Annual Holly Tour at Ballestone-Stansbury House, Saturday and Sunday, December 12 and 13. Sponsored by Back River Recreation Council. Call for times. (410-887-0234)
- Holiday Party – Tuesday, December 15, 7 p.m. – Marshy Point Nature Center (410-887-2817)
- Winter Solstice Campfire, Friday, December 18, 7 to 8 p.m. – Benjamin Banneker Historical Park and Museum (410-887-1081)
- Kids Night Out, Friday, December 18, 6 to 9 p.m. – Lake Roland (410-887-4156)
- The Long Dark – Hike and Campfire – Friday, December 18, 7 to 8:30 p.m. – Marshy Point Nature Center (410-887-2817)
- S’mores, Stars and the Winter Solstice, Saturday, December 19, 6 to 8 p.m. – Lake Roland (410-887-4156)
- Christmas Movie-thon, Saturday, December 19, 2 to 4:30 p.m., at Holt Center (410-887-5307)
- Kwanzaa Celebration, Saturday, December 26, 1:30 to 3 p.m. – Benjamin Banneker Historical Park and Museum (410-887-1081)
- Winter Break Camp, Monday, December 28 through Thursday, December 31, 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., at Lake Roland (410-887-4156 – call for availability, details and pricing)
While this is a listing of some of Recreation and Parks holiday and seasonal events, you can be sure there is lots more for you to do with us. Select a link to all our recreation and nature offices where our staff members will be able to offer more information about the above events and let you know of other events of the season.
More Events at Enjoybaltimorecounty.com
Also, be sure to check out the County’s Tourism and Promotions website, enjoybaltimorecounty.com for more great events.
Greetings from Recreation and Parks
So you see, Baltimore County Recreation and Parks this time of the year probably should be at the top of your list when thinking holiday and seasonal programs and events. From all your friends at Recreation and Parks, here’s wishing you a great holiday season – and a Happy New Year, too!
Michael L. Schneider, Community Outreach Liaison, Baltimore County Department of Recreation and Parks
Revised September 26, 2016