Baltimore County News
Baltimore County Restaurant Week Extended
The recent blizzard didn’t just bring three feet of snow our way, it also brought a whole extra week to enjoy the “meals and deals” of Baltimore County Winter Restaurant Week! Shake off that case of cabin fever by getting out of the house to enjoy a fantastic meal that someone else has to prepare and clean up.
A majority of participating restaurants have chosen to extend their special fixed priced menus through February 6th, giving you extra time to explore and enjoy what Baltimore County’s wonderful restaurants have to offer. Diners can discover new restaurants and enjoy old favorites at a discounted price, with one to three course lunch and dinner specials ranging from $15 to $35. With over thirty-five restaurants extending their deals, there is sure to be something for every taste and occasion.
Please visit baltimorecountyrestaurantweek.com to view a list of participating restaurants, peruse menus, and make reservations. Try that fancy place you’ve heard such great things about, or frequent your favorite local hotspot. Either way it’s a delicious time to dine in Baltimore County!
Events and Outings for All
The weather outside may be getting a bit “frightful,” but the County’s parks are delightful in every season.
Sure, you’ll need to bundle up and instead of the water bottle you can take a thermos of hot chocolate, your camera, warm jacket, socks and boots, hat, scarf and see the sights! Imagine the sounds of the wind blowing through the forest, the rustle of leaves as you walk those same trails you love in the warm weather.
And, the fine folks at Baltimore County’s Department of Recreation and Parks, and all of our essential volunteers (“helpful elves” if you will) are eager to have a part in making your season bright, warm and filled with memories that will last well beyond the decorations and food.
Holiday Events Galore!
Your friends at Recreation and Parks and our many recreation and nature councils have lots of seasonal events that are sure to keep you in the spirit of the season in your eyes, in your bellies and in your heart, here are just a few…
Want to meet the “Big Guy?” Yep, SANTA’s making the rounds this December, and let us tell you, that guy really gets around:
- At Battle Grove Elementary on December 12, from 9 to 11 a.m. Sponsored by North Point Village Recreation Council (410-887-7180)
- At Bear Creek Elementary on December 12, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sponsored by Bear Creek Recreation Council (410-887-7529 for details and reservations)
- At Turner Station Recreation Council’s Christmas Celebration at Sollers Point Multi-Purpose Center on December 12, between noon and 4 p.m. (410-887-7134)
- Watersedge Recreation Council is having their Christmas event on December 13, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., at Watersedge Community Center (410-887-7134)
- Tuesday, December 8, West Inverness Recreation Council is sponsoring their Christmas event at the Inverness Center from 6:30 to 8 p.m. (410-887-7134)
Christmas Tree Sales – All for a Good Cause
- Hannah More Park in Reisterstown – on sale through December 24 (410-887-1142)
- TALMAR Gardens and Horticultural Therapy Center; inside the Sherwood entrance of Cromwell Valley Park. (410-825-2020)
- Mini Christmas Tree – Wednesday, December 9, 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., at Holt Center (410-887-5307)
- Natural Ornaments – Saturday, December 12, noon to 3 p.m., at Benjamin Banneker Historical Park and Museum (410-887-1081)
- Holiday Centerpieces – Saturday, December 12, 1 to 2:30 p.m., at Cromwell Valley Park (410-887-2503)
- Log Cabin Christmas – Sunday, December 13, noon to 3 p.m., at Holt Center (410-887-5307)
- Natural Ornament Making – Saturday and Sunday, December 12 and 13, at Oregon Ridge Nature Center (410-887-1815)
- Wreaths and Natural Ornaments – Saturday and Sunday, December 12 and 13, noon to 4 p.m., at Marshy Point Nature Center (410-887-2817)
- Short Days Candle Making – Saturday, December 19, 1 to 2:30 p.m., at Marshy Point Nature Center (410-887-2817)
- Solstice Candle Making – Sunday, December 20, 1 to 3 p.m., at Willow Grove Nature Center (410-887-2503)
- Make Signature Wrapping Paper and Giant Ribbons – Tuesday, December 15, 4:30 to 5:30 p.m., Holt Center (410-887-5307)
- Gingerbread Houses for You and the Birds – Saturday and Sunday, December 19 and 20, 1 to 3 p.m., at Oregon Ridge Nature Center (410-887-1815)
Some Very Special Events
- Holiday Craft Show, Saturday, December 12, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., at General John Stricker Middle School sponsored by Gray Charles Recreation Council (410-887-7180)
- Holiday Craft Show, Saturday, December 12, 9 a.m. to noon, inside Battle Grove Elementary School. Sponsored by North Point Village Recreation Council (410-887-7180)
- Holiday Basket BINGO, Saturday, December 12, 7 to 9 p.m., inside Battle Grove Elementary School sponsored by North Point Village Recreation Council (410-887-7180)
- 38th Annual Holly Tour at Ballestone-Stansbury House, Saturday and Sunday, December 12 and 13. Sponsored by Back River Recreation Council. Call for times. (410-887-0234)
- Holiday Party – Tuesday, December 15, 7 p.m. – Marshy Point Nature Center (410-887-2817)
- Winter Solstice Campfire, Friday, December 18, 7 to 8 p.m. – Benjamin Banneker Historical Park and Museum (410-887-1081)
- Kids Night Out, Friday, December 18, 6 to 9 p.m. – Lake Roland (410-887-4156)
- The Long Dark – Hike and Campfire – Friday, December 18, 7 to 8:30 p.m. – Marshy Point Nature Center (410-887-2817)
- S’mores, Stars and the Winter Solstice, Saturday, December 19, 6 to 8 p.m. – Lake Roland (410-887-4156)
- Christmas Movie-thon, Saturday, December 19, 2 to 4:30 p.m., at Holt Center (410-887-5307)
- Kwanzaa Celebration, Saturday, December 26, 1:30 to 3 p.m. – Benjamin Banneker Historical Park and Museum (410-887-1081)
- Winter Break Camp, Monday, December 28 through Thursday, December 31, 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., at Lake Roland (410-887-4156 – call for availability, details and pricing)
While this is a listing of some of Recreation and Parks holiday and seasonal events, you can be sure there is lots more for you to do with us. Select a link to all our recreation and nature offices where our staff members will be able to offer more information about the above events and let you know of other events of the season.
More Events at Enjoybaltimorecounty.com
Also, be sure to check out the County’s Tourism and Promotions website, enjoybaltimorecounty.com for more great events.
Greetings from Recreation and Parks
So you see, Baltimore County Recreation and Parks this time of the year probably should be at the top of your list when thinking holiday and seasonal programs and events. From all your friends at Recreation and Parks, here’s wishing you a great holiday season – and a Happy New Year, too!
Michael L. Schneider, Community Outreach Liaison, Baltimore County Department of Recreation and Parks
Jordan Fish, Baltimore County Tourism & Promotion
Now that Thanksgiving is behind us, Baltimore County is in the holiday spirit! Be sure to check our list of the many events and programs going on around the County during the month of December. From train gardens to tree lightings – it’s the most wonderful time of the year in Baltimore County!
Christmas Open House at Basignani Winery - Christmas time very special at Basignani Winery. Visit the north Baltimore County winery for its annual celebration of the Tuscan Christmas. Experience an Italian Christmas as Basignani transforms the tasting room and piazza into a little piece of Tuscany. Taste the wines and try some seasonal Tuscan Christmas treats.
December Saturdays at DeJon Vineyards - Join DeJon Vineyards, located in Hydes, during the first 3 Saturdays of December for free live music, tasty treats, and decorative scenery. They deck the halls with a giant Christmas tree and train garden in the tasting room. Each week different acoustic musicians will perform classic holiday songs, as well as their regular catalog of tunes.
Holiday Hoopla - December 7th is the official start of the holiday season in Dundalk! The Dundalk Renaissance Corporation joins forces with Dundalk-Eastfield Recreation to create a day with lots of tradition, memory-making and fun for all ages. Some of the event highlights include a parade with Santa and Mrs. Claus, a delicious cookie tour, and the train garden at the Dundalk-Patapsco Neck Historical Society and Museum.
Holidays at Hampton....a Yuletide Celebration - Get into the holiday spirit early with “Holidays at Hampton” where the public can celebrate the season at Hampton Mansion, Baltimore County's only National Park. The “Holidays at Hampton” Yuletide weekend, Dec. 13th - 15th, includes special evening tours, antique cars, period crafts, musical and dance performances, African-American storytelling and unique holiday shopping in the Museum Shop. All of the festivities are free and open to the public.
Holiday Train Garden at the Fire Museum of Maryland - Kids of all ages will enjoy the Holiday Train Garden at the Fire Museum of Maryland. The layout features the Bromo Seltzer Tower and a burning building, complete with fire engines and hoses crisscrossing the fire ground. Watch Antique O-Scale trains and a street car wind their way past many of Baltimore’s famous neighborhoods and landmarks.
Jacksonville in Miniature for the Holidays - Now in its third year, Jacksonville in Miniature has grown into an animated wonderland. Train team members combine their talents to create replicas of local landmarks, scenes of "life in Jacksonville", and, of course, operating model trains. Located at the Jacksonville Senior Center, the 2013 display is expanding beyond Jacksonville to include the Ocean City boardwalk and the Washington D.C. Mall.
Towson WinterFest - Presented by the Towson Chamber of Commerce, WinterFest features numerous events in the downtown Towson area throughout December. Activities range from family friendly breakfasts with the Grinch and Frosty, to Ho Ho Happy Hours at area bars and restaurants. Check out the full schedule of events.
Wine Country Christmas at Boordy Vineyards – On December Saturdays, through the 21st, Boordy's Barn is the perfect setting for seasonal merry-making with traditional music, a tour of the winery, and steaming Wassail (a specialty from Boordy for over twenty-five years). Wines may be purchased by the glass or bottle for enjoying in the barn with your friends. The wine shop will be brimming with gifts for the hard to please wine lovers!
To find out about other great happenings in Baltimore County throughout the year, visit the Baltimore County Tourism and Promotion events calendar.
Revised April 6, 2016