Baltimore County Department of Social Services
6401 York Road, Third Floor
Baltimore, MD 21212-2130
TTY users call via Maryland Relay
The Baltimore County Department of Social Services has an urgent need for resource parents (foster and adoptive families) to ensure that our children live in a safe and loving environment. You can make the difference to a child who needs your love and support by becoming a resource parent.
Becoming a Resource Parent - Foster or Adoptive
If you are interested in becoming a resource parent, foster and adoptive case specialists are looking to work with you by providing education, training and ongoing support once a child is accepted into your home. Financial and medical assistance is also available.
To become a foster/adopt parent, you must:
- Attend an information meeting
- Complete a registration and authorization for clearance forms
- Complete 30 hours of pre-service training
- Obtain your first aid and CPR certifications
- Complete the home study approval process
To qualify as a resource parent, you need to:
- Have patience, flexibility and a commitment to children
- Be over age 21
- Be able to meet your family’s financial obligations
- Have room for a child
- Be in good physical and mental health
- Agree to have a background check, including criminal background
- Agree not to smoke around the foster child (in your home and car)
You may not qualify for resource parenting at this time if you:
- Have financial difficulties and do not have stable and sufficient income
- Have anyone in the household has an indicated child protective service finding
- Have anyone in the household arrested for D.W.I./D.U.I. within the last five years
- Have anyone in the household convicted of a felony or drug related offense within last five years
- Owe back child support
- Live in a one bedroom
Receive more information about becoming a resource parent, by phone, e-mail or via our online form.
Phone: Call 410-853-3170 Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. to speak with a recruitment staff member. If you call during non-business hours, leave a message and your call will be returned within one business day.
E-mail: Send us an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. All e-mail correspondence is confidential, and only reviewed by Department of Social Services recruitment staff.
All informational meetings for 2013 will begin at 6 p.m. and will be held at 6401 York Road in Baltimore, MD 21212, in the Main Conference Room on the third floor. Meeting dates and exact room locations are below:
2013 Meeting Dates
- Wednesday, September 11, 2013
- Wednesday, October 9, 2013
- Wednesday, November 13, 2013
- Wednesday, December 11, 2013
Inclement Weather Notice
If Baltimore County Public Schools are closed or a snow emergency plan is in effect, the meeting will be canceled. Call 410-853-3170 for details.
If you are a kinship care provider seeking information, please call our Kinship Care Navigator Program at 410-282-9430.
Revised August 26, 2013