Skip Navigation

Department of Recreation and Parks

Parks and Facilities Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Who do I call to to gain use of a facility?

A: Contact the appropriate Community Recreation Office for availability/reservations.

Back to top

Q: At which parks may I reserve a pavilion or picnic area for my group's use and how do I reserve them?

A: The department maintains a list of parks that may be reserved for group picnics. To reserve an area at one of these parks, contact the local Community Recreation Office.

Back to top

Q: How can I find information regarding the County's parks?

A: For basic park information including major site amenities, see parks and facilities. For specific park information, such as fee schedules for pavilion rentals and availability contact the appropriate Community Recreation Office.

Back to top

Q: What parks/recreation centers are near my home?

A: View a list of many of our larger parks and their addresses on our park list.

Back to top

Q: Where can I launch a boat in Baltimore County?

A: Boat launches to the bay and its tributaries are available at: Merritt Point Park (410-887-7155), Inverness Park (410-887-7529), Turner Station Park (410-887-7155), Rocky Point Park (410-887-3873), Cox's Point (410-887-0255) and Southwest Area Park (410-887-6994).  Also a ramp is available for use at Loch Raven Fishing Center (410-887-7692).

Back to top

Q: Who do I contact to report a maintenance problem at a county-owned park site, playground or local open space in Baltimore County?

A: To report a maintenance problem, contact the maintenance coordinator at 410-887-3827.

Back to top

Q: Who should I contact to have a sign posted or policy changed at a local park?

A: To request a sign or to report a management issue, contact your Community Recreation Office.

Back to top

Q: What is the role of the Capital Planning and Development section?

A: They are responsible for duties related to the acquisition and development of parks and recreation facilities, including: planning to determine recreation and parks needs, seeking out and evaluating potential acquisition, meeting with the community to develop park concept plans, and managing park development projects.

Back to top

Q: My community or I would like to make an improvement at a local park site. How can I/we find out how to do so?

A: Making an improvement at a park or on an open space is an excellent means of exhibiting community pride. The Department of Recreation and Parks offers several platforms for involving the community in improving a park. These are:

  • Community Assisted Enhancement of Recreation and Parks Facilities (C. A. E.) program: enables the community or individuals to fund park projects such as playgrounds/tot lots, picnic pavilions, etc. through direct donation or by donation of services. For information or a brochure, contact your Community Recreation Office.
  • Patrons of the Park program: Allows organization, corporations and citizens to donate funds for specific park amenities, recreational equipment, plants and trees, maintenance equipment and program sponsorship. For information or a brochure, contact your Community Recreation Office.
  • Other opportunities to share in the development of parks are available in the form of assorted government grants, which are often available to community groups or the County's Recreation and Parks Councils. For information on grant opportunities, please contact 410-887-3317, or visit the Division of Neighborhood Improvement.

Back to top

Revised January 30, 2013


Revised April 6, 2016        

Did This Page Help?
Fields marked with * are required.
Page Rating*