34 Elmont Avenue
Baltimore, Maryland 21236
Nestled in the heart of the Overlea Fullerton Community is the Holt Center, donated to Baltimore County by Lillian Holt in 1976. The park offers nature trails and a variety of art and nature programs for the family. Make time to join us and join in on the fun. All programs require registration.
Weekend activities for adults only.
- Skyscape (September 21, 6 to 8 p.m.) – Make a matted water color piece. $10 per project.
- Seed Saving (September 28, 12:30 p.m.) – As autumn arrives, learn how to prepare for the next growing season by preserving seeds. Bring any seeds you would like to share or exchange. Free.
- Pastel Still Life (October 4, 4 to 5 p.m.) – Create a still life and take your creation home in a mat. $2 per project.
- Pencil Sketching Al Fresco (November 29, 10 a.m.) – Learn composition by sketching the outdoors. $2 per project.
Art for Everyone
A fun craft program for the entire family to enjoy.
Dates: Sundays, 12:30 to 2:30 p.m. unless stated otherwise.
Ages: All ages.
Cost: $2 per project, unless stated otherwise.
- Feather Printing (September 21, 12:30 to 1:30 p.m.) – Paint an elegant decoration.
- Kaliedoscope Construction (October 19) – Enjoy building your own colorful creation. $4 per project.
- Field of Flowers (November 9) – Learn to create a watercolor landscape.
- Geometric Design (November 23) – Use watercolors and crayons in design.
Bonfire and Night Hike
Venture into the park at twilight and learn about nature at night.
Dates: Saturday, September 27 and November 1, from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Ages: Fun for all ages. Children 11 and under must have an adult.
Cost: Cost is free and snacks are included.
Creating with clay is both relaxing and rewarding. The first date listed you create your project, the next date you add the color.
Dates: Fridays, 6:30 to 8 p.m.
Ages: Projects are geared to all ages and levels of experience. Children 11 and under must have an adult.
Cost: $10 per project
- Jeans Pocket – (September 12 and 26) This wall pocket will look like your old jeans and hold the dry blossoms and seedpods of autumn.
- Cat Face Votive Holder – (October 10 and 24) Add a votive and watch your cat's eyes shine.
- Beads – (November 7 and 21) Square, round and in-between, we'll create enough beads to make a necklace or two.
A fun weekend craft program for the entire family to enjoy.
Ages: Fun for all ages. Children eight and under must have an adult.
Cost: $2 per project
- Scarebabies – (Sunday, September 28 from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m.) In this Halloween-themed program, create your own miniature scarecrows.
- Harry Potter Halloween – (Sunday, October 12 from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m.) Create Harry Potter themed crafts and experiments to capture the spirit of Halloween!
- Ninja Turtles – (Friday, October 17 and 24 from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m.) Create a ninja turtle costume, and discover the adaptations that make turtles radical.
- Spider Man – (Saturday, November 15 from 2 to 4 p.m.) Test your spidey-senses and your spider-like agility with crafts, demonstrations and an obstacle course.
Natural World of Art
Discover the connection between art and nature using a variety of materials and techniques.
Dates: Wednesdays, 6:30 to 7:30 p.m.
Ages: Projects are designed to bring out the inner artist in people of all ages.
Cost: $2 per project
- Wrapped Vase or Pencil Holder (September 24) – You choose how to use this recycled container.
- Fall Quilling (October 1) – Get your fingers in shape as we create signs of fall.
- Full Moon Pocket (October 8) – Simple sewing creates a place to tuck tiny treasures of the Full Hunter's Moon.
- Fall Necklace (October 15) – String the harvests and colors of fall.
- Pumpkin Funny Face October 22 – Use natural materials to put a face on this everlasting pumpkin.
- Spooky Tree (October 29) – This creepuy creation is just in time for the haunting.
- Pine Cone Owl (November 5) – This wise owl is so easy to make!
- Decorative Balls (November 12) – Perfect to dress up Thanksgiving table.
- Natural Picture Frame (November 19) – Perfect to pop in your favorite Thanksgiving photo.
- Feather Tree (December 3) – Start your holiday decoration with a wispy touch.
- Cinnamon Dough Ornaments (December 10) – Fragrant for years to come.
Nature Discovery Programs
Discover the many interesting things nature has to offer.
Dates: Saturdays 10 to 11:30 a.m.
Cost: $2 per project
- Plants to Dye For (September 27) – Use natural plant pigments to dye fabrics. Bring items to dye or color some of our cloths and cotton.
- Autumn Wildflower (October 4) – October is the month for the last flowers of the year. Come to Holt and find these late bloomers.
- Bird Migration (October 18) – Migratory birds are heading south for the winter. Learn about this adaptation and the journey that the birds take.
- Geology (November 1) – Learn about rocks and minerals and examine rock collections in this geology program.
- Harvest Time (November 15) – Learn about the earliest Thanksgiving, the “Three Sisters” and other harvest-related facts while making seasonal treats.
- Winter Scavenger Hunt (December 6) – Get outside and explore Holt and look for natural treasures.
Nature Explorer Clubs
Each session we'll explore a different wildlife or nature topic through hands-on activities.
Cost: $5 covers all five sessions per club.
Mother Nature and Me – For ages three to five, Tuesdays or Wednesdays from 11 a.m. to noon,
Tadpoles Nature Club (drop-off program) – For children in kindergarten through third grade, Wednesdays from 4:15 to 5:30 p.m.
Junior Naturalists (drop-off program) – For grades four through seven, Wednesdays from 4:15 to 5:30 p.m.
Open Nature Cabin
Join us in our nature cabin for free, fun activities including animal feeding, nature games and crafts, Mystery Animal Day and more.
Dates: The nature cabin is open every Tuesday afternoon from 3:30 to 6:30 p.m. (September 23 through Decemeber 2) and the second Sunday of every month from 2 to 4:30 p.m. (September 21 through November 23).
- Park Cleanup – (Saturday, October 4 from 1 to 4 p.m.) Join Holt Park for light gardening and trail maintenance. Stay to learn more about upcoming events.
- Halloween Weenie Roast – (Friday, October 17 from 7 to 9 p.m.) Enjoy roasting hot dogs and playing games around the bonfire. Pre-registration is required as space is limited. No exceptions. Cost is $5.
- Holt Harvest Day – (Sunday, October 26 from noon to 3 p.m.) Fun fall activities for the whole family. Some activities are free.
- Christmas Tree Lighting – (Saturday, November 29 at 6 p.m.) Start the holiday season by joining us as we illuminate our beautiful tree.
Revised September 16, 2014