Engineering and Regulations Division (E and R)
E and R provides the effective management and enforcement of Wastewater Monitoring and Analysis Program through permitting, monitoring and analysis of wastewater from industrial and commercial customers. These responsibilities include:
- Issuance of permits to commercial and industrial users of the sanitary sewer system.
- Monitors industrial waste discharges; determines compliance with permit conditions.
- Analyzes wastewater samples collected from industrial and commercial users of the sanitary sewer system.
- Enforces violations for non-compliance of permit standards and/or conditions through citations and penalty assessments.
- Determines and calculates wastewater credit allowance and industrial surcharges for industries which discharge high strength wastes.
- Monitors and controls commercial septic waste haulers using the sanitary sewer system.
Authorities and Codes
- Industrial Wastewater Regulations and Use Information for regulatory and planning programs to reduce the input of pollutants to surface and ground waters of the State maintained by the Maryland Department of Environment (MDE).
- Federal Water Pollution Control (Clean Water) Act of 1972 (P.L. 92-500) mandates the implementation of comprehensive programs for eliminating or reducing the pollution of interstate waters and tributaries and improving the sanitary condition of surface and underground waters.
Bureau of Utilities
Engineering & Regulations Division
4423 Bucks School House Road
Baltimore, MD 21237-3310
Revised June 25, 2013