This unit is responsible for general mid- to long-range planning, monitoring transportation conditions, looking ahead to identify emerging problems, and developing and analyzing appropriate solutions. In conjunction with these tasks, Transportation Planning also maintains Baltimore County's travel forecasting model and represents the County on various metropolitan task forces.
- Provide technical assistance to the Department of Planning and neighborhood groups in preparing transportation elements.
- Provide transportation review on State Clearinghouse items, road closures, surplus property and development.
- Coordinate transportation planning activities between the Department of Public Works and all County agencies, with emphasis on EDC's economic development strategies and Planning Office's Master Plan.
- Develop and maintain the County's travel demand forecasting model (MINUTE) in order to assess proposed transportation improvements.
- Provide review and recommendation to the Executive Office regarding transportation related bills during the legislative session.
- Provide liaison and technical assistance to Morgan State University, Towson University, Towson Development Corporation and other various organizations.
- Evaluate and recommend specific projects in anticipation of future transportation, land use and economic development needs.
Interesting Transportation Links
- 511 Traveler Information
- Animation of the Proposed Red Line
- CHARTWeb Video Cameras - Live Traffic
- Coordinated Highways Action Response Team (CHART)
- Maryland Transportation Administration
- Montgomery County's Video Cameras - Live Traffic
- Moving Ahead For Progress in the 21st Century Act
- SHA Annual Average Daily Traffic (AADT) Locator
- SHA's Park and Ride Facilities
Revised February 17, 2015