Driving with the Snowplow
We can clear the roads faster and better with your help. In addition, the following tips may make your travel during inclement weather much safer.
- Do not tailgate snowplows - stay at least two car lengths behind. Never cut between a caravan of plows clearing the highway.
- During ice storms, beware of possible power outages affecting traffic signals, downed tree limbs and other debris.
- Beware of "black ice" where roads may appear to be wet, but are actually glazed with ice.
- Keep in mind that bridges, ramps, overpasses and roads in low-lying areas tend to freeze first.
- If possible, stay off the roads during inclement weather. If you must go out, use caution and allow plenty of extra time and braking distance.
- Let someone know your travel plans and tell them you will call when you arrive.
Revised October 3, 2011